DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   JuicedLink, Follow Focus and 5D - not possible!? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/267389-juicedlink-follow-focus-5d-not-possible.html)

Toenis Liivamaegi August 11th, 2009 04:23 PM

JuicedLink, Follow Focus and 5D - not possible!?

Now that I've used JuicedLink and 5D a bit I've found out that it is not possible to use a FF device when my 5D is attached to the top of the JL because the top surface wobbles so much.

I mean it's 1mm thick aluminum and all ;) but still if you turn the FF it wobbles (the framing rises or lowers) like hell - JL preamp and 5D (body too short) can not be used with real FF devices.

Any suggestions?
T

Tramm Hudson August 11th, 2009 05:26 PM

I'm using the Cinevate DSLR rig and their Durus follow focus. The camera is already on a small platform and there isn't enough vertical clearance to the matte box if it were also sitting on the juicedLink (or the battery grip). So instead I've moved the CX231 to the shoulder mount, which also helps shift the CG backwards a bit.

Chris Barcellos August 11th, 2009 07:42 PM

Mount the juiced link under the rails and then mount to tripod.

See how I set it up here.

YouTube - My Rig by Chris Barcellos

Tom Daigon August 11th, 2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson (Post 1210370)
I'm using the Cinevate DSLR rig and their Durus follow focus. The camera is already on a small platform and there isn't enough vertical clearance to the matte box if it were also sitting on the juicedLink (or the battery grip). So instead I've moved the CX231 to the shoulder mount, which also helps shift the CG backwards a bit.

How do you accomadate the battery grip which is a must for me? The only rig Ive seen that can do this is th "U Boat Commander".

Tom Daigon August 11th, 2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1210812)
Mount the juiced link under the rails and then mount to tripod.

See how I set it up here.

YouTube - My Rig by Chris Barcellos

How do you suggest accomodating the juiced link and battery grip if you want to use it on the Cinevate portable on-the-shoulder configuration?

Chris Barcellos August 11th, 2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Daigon (Post 1210920)
How do you suggest accomodating the juiced link and battery grip if you want to use it on the Cinevate portable on-the-shoulder configuration?

I don't use it, but, I have no doubt with further adjustments it can be done.

Dan Chung August 11th, 2009 11:32 PM

Tramm,

Great progress on the hack. How is that Durus FF unit? I've always been curious about it.

Dan

Tramm Hudson August 12th, 2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Daigon (Post 1210918)
How do you accomadate the battery grip which is a must for me?

Right now it doesn't fit. The extra height pushes the lens above the height of the matte box, even with the camera platform at the lowest level. The battery grip and CX231 together make the camera body ridiculously tall. Add in my KS-6 and it is over 30 cm from bottom to top.

My plan is to disassemble the battery grip (or perhaps just a cheap battery) to make an external power supply anyway. This will let me locate the heavy batteries on the shoulder mount portion of the rig to adjust the CG further aft.

Tom Daigon August 12th, 2009 07:05 AM

Thats an interesting idea. I look forward to seeing a sketch or picture of what you have in mind. Video sucks the life out of batteries so quickly that on certain shoots I dont have the luxury to keep swapping out single batteries.

Chris Barcellos August 12th, 2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson (Post 1212754)
Right now it doesn't fit. The extra height pushes the lens above the height of the matte box, even with the camera platform at the lowest level. The battery grip and CX231 together make the camera body ridiculously tall. Add in my KS-6 and it is over 30 cm from bottom to top.

My plan is to disassemble the battery grip (or perhaps just a cheap battery) to make an external power supply anyway. This will let me locate the heavy batteries on the shoulder mount portion of the rig to adjust the CG further aft.

I have been thinking the same thing with my adapter. Actually, the Canon AC power supply has a "fake battery" on board, that must also have a chip that fools the camera. Its pricey, but the "battery replacement" portion of it may work that way. Adapter is about $ 150.00, but it just may be the thing to use to run power into the camera for a battery pack. It has a cord arrangement that threads through the corresponding hole in the battery compartment on the camera body. It would also be nice to have a switch that clears the chip to eliminate to need to pull the battery inour Magic Lantern testing.

I will post a pic this afternoon to show you what it looks like, but it seems like we only have to match the output of the inverter that is coming out of the standard power supply to feed the fake battery.

Toenis Liivamaegi August 12th, 2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1213325)
I have been thinking the same thing with my adapter. Actually, the Canon AC power supply has a "fake battery" on board, that must also have a chip that fools the camera. Its pricey, but the "battery replacement" portion of it may work that way. Adapter is about $ 150.00, but it just may be the thing to use to run power into the camera for a battery pack. It has a cord arrangement that threads through the corresponding hole in the battery compartment on the camera body. It would also be nice to have a switch that clears the chip to eliminate to need to pull the battery inour Magic Lantern testing.

You can order the original power cord with that dummy battery separately for $60 (or as low as $49 for "DR-E6" with free shipping from the eBay)
They wanted to charge me $200 from local dealer back in January confirming that I can not order the cord separately but well, you can actually.

Canon | DR-E6 DC Coupler | 3352B001 | B&H Photo Video so there you go ...

T

Chris Barcellos August 12th, 2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1213339)
You can order the original power cord with that dummy battery separately for $60 (or as low as $49 for "DR-E6" with free shipping from the eBay)
They wanted to charge me $200 from local dealer back in January confirming that I can not order the cord separately but well, you can actually.

Canon | DR-E6 DC Coupler | 3352B001 | B&H Photo Video so there you go ...

T

yeap, that is it. Only need a power souce. As a matter of fact, I have a 12 volt battery from a monitor that may have that same plug in.... hmmm. If only I new what I was doing with 'tricity

Tramm Hudson August 12th, 2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1213339)
You can order the original power cord with that dummy battery separately for $60 (or as low as $49 for "DR-E6" with free shipping from the eBay) Canon | DR-E6 DC Coupler | 3352B001 | B&H Photo Video

That connector looks worlds better than hacking up a battery, and it also likely avoids the problems with the "unchipped" batteries.

Chris -- do you have the ACK-E6? Can you measure the voltage that it outputs on the barrel connector? According to one of the ebay listings it wants 8V @ 3A, which isn't too bad for a switching DC-DC regulator from a 12 V supply.

Chris Barcellos August 12th, 2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson (Post 1214047)
That connector looks worlds better than hacking up a battery, and it also likely avoids the problems with the "unchipped" batteries.

Chris -- do you have the ACK-E6? Can you measure the voltage that it outputs on the barrel connector? According to one of the ebay listings it wants 8V @ 3A, which isn't too bad for a switching DC-DC regulator from a 12 V supply.

Yes I do have it, and I will check tonigh on the "Output" reading on the transformer, right ?

Don't have a voltage reader but I can get it to someone to check, but wouldn't output on their unit be the answer ? I assume getting right polarity is important, though, right ?

Chris Barcellos August 12th, 2009 05:48 PM

Adapter specs

1 Attachment(s)
hear are adapter specs.