30fps, to 29.97. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Major Player

30fps, to 29.97.

Hey, guys. I have a few upcoming commercials, and tomorrow I'm delivering some test footage to the broadcast station. I just realized today, that my footage isn't 29.97.

I had the footage exported as just a self contained QT file on FCP. Then through compressor, I changed the frame-rate to 29.97... I THOUGHT that changed it, but I was wrong. I finally took the time to look at it. Can anybody give me a solution to this. It's so nice to have a place to dump my questions, complaints, and all kinds of other jazz onto complete strangers. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by Douglas Joseph; August 11th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.
Douglas Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

30fps = 29.97. The numbering is just different. Change the numbering in your NLE.
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Perrone, so that means I don't have to worry about changing anything in the timeline?
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

No, you need to change the TIME on the timeline, but the video itself doesn't change at all. 29.97 is a counting method that uses 30fps video as it's basis.

Google "drop frame" and you should find what I talking about. BUT, if you are delivering to a TV station, they will want the timeline to be in dropframe so that the timing comes out accurately.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

Use Cinema Tools to Conform to 29.97.

Just open clip and then click conform to 29.97.

You can do batches of clips too. Do this before editing or after on exported .mov.

29.97 is different than 30, it is a slower frame rate.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Whoa, hang on. I forgot we were talking about a DSLR here and not a video camera. Does the 5D shoot 30 TRUE frames per second? No consumer based video cameras do so this is important if you will need audio sync.

Anyway, I'll defer to those more experienced with THIS particular camera.
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Does the 5D shoot 30 TRUE frames per second?
Yes. It shoots 30.00, not 29.97. In general, the solution is to slow both the video and audio by 0.1% to avoid dropped frames and audio sync problems.
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Yes. It shoots 30.00, not 29.97. In general, the solution is to slow both the video and audio by 0.1% to avoid dropped frames and audio sync problems.
Thanks Jon. I hadn't even thought about this camera shooting a true 30p since we never see that in general video cameras.
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Major Player

I think I got it down now. Why the heck did Canon have this camera shoot 30fps? Is there an advantage to shooting true 30fps? It seems to me like it's just a giant headache.
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph View Post
I think I got it down now. Why the heck did Canon have this camera shoot 30fps? Is there an advantage to shooting true 30fps? It seems to me like it's just a giant headache.
Advantage is that it's simpler the way they've done it. PITA for the video based shooter. But honestly, it's no different than shooting real film, and having to do IVTC to get to 23.98 to sync up for video. Process is exactly the same.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Major Player

You're the man, Perrone. Thanks for the insight. It's always cool to hear about that sort of stuff.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph View Post
You're the man, Perrone. Thanks for the insight. It's always cool to hear about that sort of stuff.
Nah dude... I'm just learning like everyone else here. I learn something every day on this forum from the REAL gurus.
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Major Player

Cineform NeoScene converts to 29.97, they have a trial for 7 days
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
Cineform NeoScene converts to 29.97, they have a trial for 7 days
As Olof already posted there is no need to buy any additional software. The OP is using FCP & will already have Cinema Tools as part of the whole Final Cut Studio. The Conform function is used to change frame rate. This works instantly as it just changes the frame rate in the file header there is no processing, conversion or rendering involved.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #15
Regular Crew

There are advantages that Cineform provides.... Cineform also corrects the gamma of
the footage and a Cineform intermediate file is much easier to edit..

if you step up to the higher end products of Cineform there are lots of great extras... like being able to edit the footage as if it were a RAW video footage... or upscaling if your mixing
the 5DMKII footage with Red footage....

Cineform has lots of value, just depends if you need the value.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD