Magic Lantern 0.1.6 release - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. That's all I needed to know. I have been a beta tester for years with Matrox and Adobe but I was paranoid with my best new toy. I will jump in shortly and then probably bug you guys a bit to make sure I'm getting the most out of the 'overlayware'.

I know I'm new to this thread but has a suggestion been made to record in different formats, i.e. Matrox compatible AVI or MXF?

Currently I use Adobe Media Encoder to batch process the MOV files to Matrox compliant AVI's before opening Premiere to edit. Depending on how much footage I shoot, I tend to just set it encoding overnight.
Old September 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM   #47
Inner Circle

I use Cineform NeoScene. The raw footage from the camera is 30 FPS, not 29.97. NeoScene converts to .avi files in the Cineform codec with a batch process, retiming to 29.97. I edit in Vegas. Good stuff. $129.00 at Cineform, Video Guys had it for $99 at one point.
Old September 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM   #48
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lognion View Post
[...] has a suggestion been made to record in different formats, i.e. Matrox compatible AVI or MXF?
The h.264 encoding is done in the DIGIC hardware, so it is unlikely that we would be able to make any significant changes in the video format. I am, however, experimenting with turning up the bitrate and other quality parameters.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I use Cineform NeoScene. The raw footage from the camera is 30 FPS, not 29.97. NeoScene converts to .avi files in the Cineform codec with a batch process, retiming to 29.97. I edit in Vegas. Good stuff. $129.00 at Cineform, Video Guys had it for $99 at one point.
Chris,

I convert to 1920x1080p with Adobe Media Encoder at 29.97. Are you saying that it's not actually re-timing? I guess to really know is to see if my audio recorded on a Zoom H4n looses sync after a while.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM   #50
Major Player

Did you see the video where a Canon rep suggested that the processor has some ability to sense the data rate the CF card can write? The set rate may be the maximum. UDMA is needed , of course.
I wonder if the new Sandisk cards increase the number of channels. I believe the primary improvement in the Red CF card is channels. From my memory it has eight, while none of the common cards had that many. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Chris,

I convert to 1920x1080p with Adobe Media Encoder at 29.97. Are you saying that it's not actually re-timing? I guess to really know is to see if my audio recorded on a Zoom H4n looses sync after a while.
I am saying that from what Cineform and Canon tell us, the camera records at 30P, 30 fps, not 29.97. Cineform says they adjust the footage to 29.97. In the process, they have to adjust sound a bit too, to match, and they do in without pitch change. In that way the footage conforms to mother 29.97 material that comes off most video cameras shooting at a nominal 30 fps.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
...In the process, they have to adjust sound a bit too, to match, and they do in without pitch change...
I believe that Cineform simply resamples the audio to the slower rate. The pitch changes, but a 0.001 change is not significant.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:20 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
As an easy example, try cutting and pasting into the config file after downloading 0.1.6. This will give you a good starting place ...
Do I paste over the entire contents of the config file or do I paste at the beginning or end????
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:41 PM   #54
Inner Circle

Quote:
Do I paste over the entire contents of the config file or do I paste at the beginning or end????
Overwrite Entire contents
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #55
Regular Crew

ML is working great! Is there a certain CMOS temp in which we should become alarmed? I was only using it about 15 min and the temp was steadily going up. I do not know what normal should be????
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #56
Inner Circle

The 5D2 includes a warning if the camera gets too hot. I have only seen this once. I had the camera on a tripod with direct sun on the LCD screen. I turned off the camera for a couple of minutes in the shade, and started shooting again without problems.

If you don't see the warning, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do see the warning, please note the temperature and post it. :)

So, I have two recommendations: 1) shade the camera on hot days - especially into the lens or LCD, and 2) pop the battery after every use of ML, just to be safe. On one occasion, I forgot to pop the battery, and the battery was drained by the next afternoon. I found that the habit is easily developed. The time I forgot to pop the battery, a friend was operating it and he turned it off...
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #57
Regular Crew

under-exposed zebras, can/will it happen?

Hi Tramm,

After all these months of knowing about Magic Lantern I've finally started messing around with it (mostly for having correct cropmarks) and I love it! I can't wait for the next release for all the new options!

I love that I finally have cropmarks for 2.35:1 that shows in both LiveView and recording (my Marshall crops don't work correctly obviously with 5D feed and that's frustrating!!). FYI the image and cropmarks display correctly in both liveview and record on my 21" FPD2185W Gateway monitor using a HDMI to DVI cable. Also, in case you didn't know, I can get my Marshall LCD720P HDMI to work with ML during recording only if I put it to the 1:1 option. However the Marshall display is messed up during LiveView, but I knew this was an issue already. Can't wait for full HD during record for use on my LCD70P Marshall. Oh BTW using this Gateway monitor is great because there is a zoom option on the monitor and so even though it's a bit pixelated you can fill most of the screen with both the LiveView and recording output at zoom which is nice. Of course a monitor this size is only practical in certain filming situations obviously.

Well my point to this post is I was wondering if it's possible to have under-exposed zebras as well as the over-exposed? This would really help me because I tend to film more on the dark side of things and want to know when I've lost detail in the shadows. I don't know if under-exposed indicators are common in filmmaking (I come from the still side of the galaxy) but the way my brain works it would be very helpful to have on screen as well.

Thanks and I really appreciate all your hard work!!!

Last edited by Christopher Lovenguth; October 6th, 2009 at 09:20 AM.
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lovenguth View Post
Well my point to this post is I was wondering if it's possible to have under-exposed zebras as well as the over-exposed?
This is important, as the LCD is not a good indicator of shadow details. On our recent 48 (Dream Job), we put some light in the "van interview shots" and were convinced that it would still be dark in there. As it turns out, the interior was quite bright.

Frankly, I think a waveform monitor might be better though for giving an idea of the level of texture in the shadows.
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #59
Major Player

Can we just take a sec here to once again acknowledge what a FREAKIN' complete GOD Tramm is because of this firmware. Thanks.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
This is important, as the LCD is not a good indicator of shadow details. On our recent 48 (Dream Job), we put some light in the "van interview shots" and were convinced that it would still be dark in there. As it turns out, the interior was quite bright.

Frankly, I think a waveform monitor might be better though for giving an idea of the level of texture in the shadows.
Yes...waveform...please!
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD