Magic Lantern 0.1.6 release - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #61
Major Player

I would like to see solid release, auto boot up and full HDMI output on record. Looks like timing of that based on previous releases should be due soon. Who will release first Canon or Magic Lantern?
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Complications are involved in getting to the new release. As the software gets more complicated, the more the chances of problems and bugs arise. Tramm's goals are extensive for the next release, and I see this akin to moving from juggling 3 balls, to getting the software to juggle 10. It may take 30 times the work to get it there.

Add to that the release of the 7D, where a lot of research is now also being expended, and you can understand why the coming of a new Magic Lantern update for the 5D is slower.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #63
Inner Circle

I think the urgency is lower too. We have fixed audio gain, audio monitoring, zebras, rack focus and a bunch of other stuff. The one other killer feature would be HD monitoring via the HDMI port, but there were some problems during proof of concept testing. If that had worked, we'd probably have had a release to add that feature alone.
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Rode NTG-2 + JuicedLink CX231 gain settings?

Anyone using the Rode NTG-2 with ML? I'm running the NTG-2 through the JuicedLink CX231, and was wondering what the optimal settings would be.

audio.mgain = ?
audio.dgain.l = ?
audio.dgain.r = ?
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #65
Inner Circle

My policy is to set the digital gain to 0dB to maintain all the bits. I run the JL at 100% on the high setting. It set the m.gain (analog gain) to +10 or +17dB. That's a good starting point.

If the sound is always too low, turn up the analog gain. If the sound is occasionally too hot, turn down the JL for those moments. If the sound is always too hot, turn down the analog gain.
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #66
Tourist

Does it work with a mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Daigon View Post
So show your appreciation by making a donation at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...tion-link.html!
Does ML work with a MAC?
Bud Dowdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #67
Inner Circle

It runs on the camera, so the computer doesn't matter. As long as you can download the files and put them on your CF card, you're good to go.
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #68
Major Player

Thanks Tramm for your hard work....I have much fun using the ML on a wedding gig last Saturday... just one question in regards to using an external mic, audio was being recorded even though mic (Rode) was turned off, so was it recording using the built in mic.

Once again thank you very much and I do hope that Canon will integrate ML in the coming firmware upgrade.... Please Canon!!!
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM   #69
Major Player

If you want to use an external mic with ML, you must enable the external mic through the ML setup screens. The key takeaway is that unlike the stock firmware, where the external starts getting used the second you plug it in, ML will use whatever source is switched on regardless of whether a mic is physically plugged in or not. I learned that the hard way, but hey, at least I remember now!
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #70
New Boot

Hello guys,
I have tried out the firmware and was very impressed by rack focus. It worked very smooth and nice.
But, noise and hiss are still there. I am using Rode VideoMic and settings from ML firmware manual. However, it seems that overall volume becomes lower and thats why I do not hear the hiss anymore. But when I increase the volume to be able to hear whats there (in quick time or in final cut using audio levels), the hiss comes back and as prominent as without the firmware.
Is there something I am doing wrong?
the setting I have
output vol 6
anlg gain = 10
audio.dgain.l = 18
audio.dgain.r = 18
agc OFF
Anton Chernenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #71
Inner Circle

You want a hotter mic or a preamp, like a juicedLink.

I usually choose
output vol 0 (I have a Boostaroo headphone amp)
anlg gain = 10 (sometimes 17)
audio.dgain.l = 0
audio.dgain.r = 0 (choosing non-zero reduces headroom/dynamic range)

You can see and hear the juicedLink here:
Part 1: Boom Mic - vimeo.com/5370880
Part 2: Camera Mounted Mic - vimeo.com/5388476
Part 3: Wireless Lavalier - vimeo.com/5443143
Part 4: Foley - vimeo.com/5453690
Part 5: Noise - vimeo.com/5474562
Part 6: Conclusions - vimeo.com/5903379

Old December 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #72
Major Player

Magic Lantern manual

I suppose this is a dumb question, but is there a manual for the latest version of Magic Lantern? I've crawled all through the wiki, but can't find anything that looks like a manual. There seem to be a lot of neat features, but it would help to know how to use them. Please don't tell me I have to sit through all those slow-loading videos to learn how to use it.

Martin
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #73
Inner Circle

Martin: This is a manual I started at the Wiki, and that has had Wiki style upgrades from others, particularly the main developer Trammel Hudson:

Magic Lantern 0.1.6 User Manual - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #74
Major Player

Thanks Chris. That answers a lot of questions. Just got a 5DM2 this weekend, and have been feeling my way through the Canon instructions before tackling Magic Lantern.

Martin
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #75
Wizard Status

Firmware 1.2.4 incompatibility

The new Canon 1.2.4 firmware is not compatible with Magic Lantern 0.1.6. I've updated the FAQ and added a note on the download page. Only Canon firmware 1.1.0 is supported by Magic Lantern 0.1.6.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD