Magic Lantern 0.1.6 release at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Wizard Status

Magic Lantern 0.1.6 release

After a month of development and testing, Magic Lantern 0.1.6 is finally ready! Some of the new features:

* Custom cropmarks bitmap file
* Live histogram while recording
* Time remaining estimate indicator
* Automated focus pulls
* Focus stacking
* HDR exposure bracketing
* Lens data (hyperfocal distance, DOF, etc)
* Cleaner, multi-level menus that timeout automatically
* Audio monitoring can be turned off during clip review
* Internal mic can be used (must enable audio.mic-power=1 in config)
* Output audio volume control
* Configuration can be saved into magiclantern.cfg

It is still beta, but lots of usability bugs have been fixed since the 0.1.5 release. There is new documentation being written and new cropmarks files will be available soon.

As before, please review the Frequently Asked Questions. Bug reports can be entered in the issue tracker.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Magic Lantern 0.1.6 release-focus.jpg   Magic Lantern 0.1.6 release-zebra.jpg  

Last edited by Tramm Hudson; August 13th, 2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added focus menu and custom cropmark display thumbnails
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

As one of those who has had some prerelease testing experience, I can tell you that this version is much nicer to work with !

Set up your camera for a particular shoot, and save that configuration using the menu, and you are good to go on repeated start ups using that same CF card.

As an easy example, try cutting and pasting into the config file after downloading 0.1.6. This will give you a good starting place for testing with on board mic running:

# Magic Lantern 0.1.6 (4770e23b8cd9 tip)
# Build on 2009-08-10 22:54:23 by hudson@kremvax
# Configuration saved on 2009/08/10 16:51:20
disable-powersave = 1
debug.draw-event = 0
debug.menu-timeout = 15
debug.draw-prop = 0
debug.timed-dump = 0
audio.mgain = 5
audio.dgain.l = 18
audio.dgain.r = 12
audio.mic-power = 1
audio.lovl = 3
audio.o2gain = 0
audio.alc-enable = 0
audio.mic-in = 1
audio.loopback = 1
focus.step = 100
focus.count = 5
focus.rack-speed = 4
zebra.draw = 0
zebra.level = 61440
crop.draw = 0
crop.file = A:/cropmarks.bmp
edge.draw = 0
enable-liveview = 1
hist.draw = 0
hist.x = 582
hist.y = 100
timecode.x = 520
timecode.y = 50
timecode.width = 225
timecode.height = 60
timecode.warning = 120
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Ouch, this is good!

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Focus Rack?

Firstly - amazing work. I can't express enough how incredible it is to have ML as a resource!

I saw Chris' 0.1.6 manual go up yesterday, and was excited to find the firmware today - so far so good - I've already setup a custom 16x9 cropmark, and been playing with the new settings.

One main question - I can't seem to activate the 'rack focus' feature - I'm able to set 'near' and 'far' points, and I've chosen the 'Rack Focus' option and hit the joystick button - but nada. Is it possible (or maybe it's already there) to activate this via a button while recording?

thanks again!

andy batt
Andy Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Outstanding. Congrats to Tramm and testers!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Tourist

Very nice! Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks Tramm!
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Batt View Post
Firstly - amazing work. I can't express enough how incredible it is to have ML as a resource!

I saw Chris' 0.1.6 manual go up yesterday, and was excited to find the firmware today - so far so good - I've already setup a custom 16x9 cropmark, and been playing with the new settings.

One main question - I can't seem to activate the 'rack focus' feature - I'm able to set 'near' and 'far' points, and I've chosen the 'Rack Focus' option and hit the joystick button - but nada. Is it possible (or maybe it's already there) to activate this via a button while recording?

thanks again!

andy batt
Andy:

Give out some particular of what you are shooting with, includings lenses, and how you are setting things up. All this will be necessary information as this is test tested further. Remember, this is Beta, which means we are all second level testing it and information will be greatly appreciated.
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Major Player

Working great here, thanks!

Thanks, Tramm! It's working great here. I love it.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Andy:

Give out some particular of what you are shooting with, includings lenses, and how you are setting things up. All this will be necessary information as this is test tested further. Remember, this is Beta, which means we are all second level testing it and information will be greatly appreciated.
Sure -
5dM2 with Canon 1.1.0 Firmware
50mm 1.4
Magic Lantern 0.1.6

In the Focus menu, I chose "FAR",
Moved down a line to the "FOCUS A" Focused to the FAR point, and pushed the joystick in (also tried the SET button)

Left the RACK SPEED at default (also tried different values)

Focused the lens to a near point, and chose the RACK FOCUS line and hit the joystick button - to no effect.

Did try the FOCUS STACKING - that worked like a charm!

I think that covers it...

andy
Andy Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #10
Inner Circle

My son did a rack focus shot tonight as we prepare for a 48-hour weekend. We set up a dolly and track, he pushed forward as the focus racked, we reviewed it on an HD monitor, and he pretty much jumped for joy. He had done two similar shots manually for a short film last winter, they took forever to set up, he did many takes, and they didn't look nearly as good. :)

Here's the method:

1) Zoom in
2) Manually focus the lens to one of the targets. This is best with a FTMF (full time manual focus) lens. Set the lens to AF.
3) Press the picture style button for the ML menu and go to the focus menu
4) If you focused to the near object, set the menu to FAR. If focused near, set to FAR.
5) Press the zoom button momentarily. You will see the number of steps change. Press and release, until you get in focus. Note the number, in case you go too far.
6) If you go too far, you can reset the value to zero, exit the menu, and go back to step 1.
7) Once properly set up, activate Rack Focus and it should do its thing.

If you toggle back and forth, you'll likely build up some errors. Just exit the menu, refocus one of the focus points, enter the menu, leave the same number of steps as before, and do more takes. Just make sure to set the NEAR or FAR in the direction that you will take next.

This feature kicks royal be-hind for narrative work!
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Good work! I have tested the previous versions but never really used them. but now it's getting closer to actually use it.

Would it be possible to adjust the strength of the edge detection funtion? In the new version I think it's picking up to much (unsharp areas as well) which is causing a big portion of the display to be blocked by this information and it is hard to see what you are actually filming. Could there be some sort of parameter as with the zebra? For me this is important as it now is hard to use while filming.
Marten Dalfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Woooooooooooooooow!

I just loaded the new Magic Lantern and it's simply: wooooooooooooooooooooow!

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuu Tramm, you do a great job and deserve a reward!
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Ionescu View Post
I just loaded the new Magic Lantern and it's simply: wooooooooooooooooooooow!

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuu Tramm, you do a great job and deserve a reward!
So show your appreciation by making a donation at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...tion-link.html!
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post

This feature kicks royal be-hind for narrative work!
Like I have said in private to you Jon and Trammel, you guys are forcing me to think about a dang autofocus lens. Jon what ones are working good for you ? Name brand Canons, others ?
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Like I have said in private to you Jon and Trammel, you guys are forcing me to think about a dang autofocus lens. Jon what ones are working good for you ? Name brand Canons, others ?
Hi Chris -

If price is no object - the 35mm 1.4 L series is one of my favorites - fast, smooth, great glass, very very clean.

I have a first gen 85mm 1.2 L series - really nice lens, for all the same reasons
I did just rent the Series II 85: it has the same amazing lens quality, with an improved AF system - much faster focus, shorter throw.

On a budget, the 100mm 2.8 macro is nice. I like my 50 1.4 - but the build quality and glass doesn't compare to the L series. Also, the focus ring has become a bit stiff - had it serviced recently by canon, and it's better but it's not aging as well as the L series.

IMHO - the 16-35mm zooms are useful, but are a compromise - the series 2 is better than the original. I would steer clear of the 70-200 - it was designed a long time ago, and IMHO isn't up to the current standard.

cheers

andy
Andy Batt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD