DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5D Mark II with Sony EX3 for wildlife (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/275910-5d-mark-ii-sony-ex3-wildlife.html)

Ofer Levy August 13th, 2009 09:59 PM

5D Mark II with Sony EX3 for wildlife

Hi all,
I am very impressed with what I have seen so far from the 5D Mark II and I am seriously considering it as a second camera for my wildlife work.
My main camera is the Sony PMW EX3 which I use with the Flash XDR. I also use various Nikon telephoto lenses.
I am hoping to use the 5D Mark II for wide angle shots, and also as a second camera to be used simultaneously with the EX3.

Is it a good idea? Any input as to the pros and cons of this concept is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Photography

Dan Chung August 14th, 2009 12:38 AM

Ofer,

Welcome across from the Sony forums. The 5DmkII is a fantastic camera but there are several issues you have to be wary of when using it in the way you describe.

One of its weaknesses is that detailed wide angle footage can show aliasing or appear a little mushy compared to wide footage from a EX3. Using a Ultracon or similar can help with the aliasing though. Obviously you can get really wide with the 5dmkII in a way the EX3 can't even with wide angle broadcast lenses.

Also the Canon shoots 30fps as opposed to 29.97fps of the Sony and most other 30p cams. This can be got around but adds time to the edit.

If you can live with these things then go for it. I recently used the EX3 + 5dmkII combination for this YouTube - China watches the solar eclipse

Dan

Ofer Levy August 14th, 2009 02:51 AM

Thanks for your input Dan!
This aliasing thing doesn't sound so good....)-:
I was hoping to get a better quality than what my EX3 can deliver so this sounds like something that can put me off.
Does this aliasing effect closes ups as well?

Thanks,
Ofer Levy Photography

Dan Chung August 14th, 2009 03:36 AM

Ofer,

I've not personally seen aliasing on close ups except when you would expect to see it on other cams, as with some fabrics etc. IMHO the 5DmkII is at its best when doing close ups of people and objects where the background is blurred by the shallow DOF. If you don't crave this look or you are looking to cut footage easily with an EX3 then a EX1 or perhaps the JVC HM-100 are better bets.

Dan

Ofer Levy August 14th, 2009 03:44 AM

Thanks Dan, the JVC HM-100 with a 1/4 inch sensor is not an option as I am looking to get quality which is at least as good as what I get from the EX3 and Flash XDR.

Jon Fairhurst August 14th, 2009 12:22 PM

The 5D2 is definitely usable for wildlife shooting: if you can afford the lens:

Hands on with the Canon EF 1200 f5.6L Lens - the 'ULTIMATE 5D MK2' group on Vimeo

Dan Chung August 14th, 2009 12:28 PM

Except that a 200 f2 with Ofer's EX3 and a MTF convertor would give you about the same magnification and f2 not f5.6. A 400 f2.8 and you beat it hands down :)

I love the 5dmkII but for super tele the EX-3 rules.

Dan

Ofer Levy August 14th, 2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1222085)
Except that a 200 f2 with Ofer's EX3 and a MTF convertor would give you about the same magnification and f2 not f5.6. A 400 f2.8 and you beat it hands down :)

I love the 5dmkII but for super tele the EX-3 rules.

Dan

Thaks for the input guys!
I really only need the 5D Mark 2 as a second camera for wider shots while shooting with the EX3. As Dan says the 5D Mark 2 is no match for the EX3 when it comes to reach. I regularly work with long Nikon lenses- my main lens is the Nikon 200-400 f4 G VR and my longest one is the Nikon 800 f8. With the x5.4 crop factor due to the smaller sensor size I get real monsters which gives some fantastic results.
You can see some of the work I get with the EX3+Nikon glass combo on my website.

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Photography