Auto Focus Lenses for Racking With Magic Lantern 0.1.6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 14th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Auto Focus Lenses for Racking With Magic Lantern 0.1.6

I would like to hear from those who are shooting auto focus lenses successfully with the Magic Lantern rack focus set up, and have you report the particular lens and give any pointers on how to best handle the process with that lens. Jon already posted on this in the general release sticky thread, but I think developing a list of workable lenses would be great to other who are buying.... like me...

Oh, by the way, Canon.... we told you this would happen....
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I would like to hear from those who are shooting auto focus lenses successfully with the Magic Lantern rack focus set up
I'm in agreement with Jon -- one of my favorites is the 85mm f/1.8. It is quite inexpensive for the quality and the length is very good for one and two shots. I'm eager to hear if anyone has tested the f/1.2 version since it has a special focus motor compared to these other lenses.

The 50mm f/1.4 micro-USM isn't as fast, but seemed to be fairly accurate in repeatability with computer control. I haven't tested the f/1.2 or f/1.8 versions.

The 135mm f/2 is also a super lens for one shots, but a bit long for two-shots. I wish I had one of my own.

Some non-Canon lenses will work with the rack focus, but there is no lens data returned. My Sigma 20 mm f/1.8 doesn't have Full Time Manual, so it is not possible to do both manual focus and computer controlled pulls with it.

For my team's 48 Hour Film submission earlier this year we shot almost entirely on the 85 and a Lensbaby, with a few establishing shots on the 20 and one or two closeups on the 70-200 (at 200).
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Nubie Question re Rack Focus

Glad to see some of my lenses listed here. I've got the 85 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.8 and 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L

My question as i just downloaded ML .6 last night.....what exactly is rack focus - memory focus points or does one need a rack/rail system other than just the camera?

I shoot a lot of music acts and to pre-show set focus points would be huge! But how to go from one to the other?

TIA
Harry
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Harry, the rack focus in this version is not savable, as I understand it. Nice feature to request though.
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Chris

I didn't make myself clear.....what exactly is rack focus?

Harry
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Essentially, its the kind of shot in a film where there are two important subjects in the shot, at different focal planes, and the camera is focused from on to the other for effect.
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #7
Major Player

How does Magic Lantern implement this on the 5D Mk2 and then i'll let it rest Chris. ;-)
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Check out this manual. I have not actually used this feature, so I would be working from this too. You do need an autofocus lense.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/M....6_User_Manual
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Tourist

Hey there,
For some reason, I can't get the rack focus to work, and its breaking my heart!
I am running 0.1.8, on 2.0.4 on 25fps
Two parts don't work - when I press the Zoom in button to refocus, nothing happens, and when I hit Set to start the rack focus, nothing happens.
Any ideas?
Michael Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Tourist

Hey there,
For some reason, I can't get the rack focus to work, and its breaking my heart!
I am running 0.1.8, on 2.0.4 on 25fps
Two parts don't work - when I press the Zoom in button to refocus, nothing happens, and when I hit Set to start the rack focus, nothing happens.
Any ideas?
Michael Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #11
New Boot

Re: Auto Focus Lenses for Racking With Magic Lantern 0.1.6

I am having the exact same issue(s) and would love to get this to work. Although I am running 0.1.9 on 2.0.8 at 24fps, if that makes a difference.
Andrew Drefs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD