Mic input not working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Tourist

Mic input not working

I have a Rode NTG-2 that isn't working with my 5D 2. Bought the mic today. Put in a new battery. And nothing. Ran some tests with cables, and ran the mic into my laptop. The mic works fine. The 5D continuously uses the internal mic rather than switching over to the mic input. Any ideas? Does the 5D need to be set up to accept the audio from an external mic?

Thanks in advance,
Beau
Beau Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Goto Live view and movie set up. At bottom of menu, you need to be sure sound recording is on. Also make sure that movie mode is on.

Not sure how you are feeding mic to camera. Please explain how you are getting input into camera.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Tourist

Sound recording is set to 'On'. LV func. Set is Stills + Movie and Movie Display. Audio is running from mic to camera via an XLR to mini stereo plug.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #4
New Boot

I had the same problem. Turns out the mic input jack is a bit delicate (atleast on some MkII batches). Mine got broken. I think you have the same problem.. :(
Tommi Hares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Tourist

Hey Tommi,

I think you may be right. This is the first time I've had an issue with a camera. Any recommendations on how to get it fixed? Send in the camera to Canon themselves? Or maybe a local canon dealer?

Thanks,
Beau
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Holland View Post
Hey Tommi,

I think you may be right. This is the first time I've had an issue with a camera. Any recommendations on how to get it fixed? Send in the camera to Canon themselves? Or maybe a local canon dealer?

Thanks,
Beau
If you're a CPS member, then definitely send it to Canon in Irvine. Actually, definitely send it to Irvine either way. If the jack needs to be replaced, it's not likely to be done while you wait. Just call them and get shipping info, etc.
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Beau, since you're in the L.A. area, if you have the time to spare then you could just drive it down to Irvine.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Beau

I have the RODE SVN and sometimes i'll forget to turn the mic on.. I'm sure this is not the problem as it sounds like the port may be buggered but thought i'd chime in.......

Harry
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Tourist

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I'll have to take the steps to get it fixed through Canon. Unless by some miracle it starts working.

Thanks again everyone,
Beau
Beau Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD