Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)

I wonder if any one would like to participate in a 5 minute in 5 days with the 5D film contest.

Prize: I am willing to put up a prize of a Sony camera strap that I use for my camera, since I misplaced my Canon strap. Other dubious prize donations would be welcome.

We could assign some sort of theme.... and have at it...just for fun.

If it is a bad idea, I am sure it will be made known here, too.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I leave my home town for the next five days and I won't be able to follow you. But if you plan it for the next week I am in! Awesome idea!
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Prize: I am willing to put up a prize of a Sony camera strap that I use for my camera, since I misplaced my Canon strap. Other dubious prize donations would be welcome.
I'll offer up a 8 MB compact flash card. Perfect for recording very short films!.

What sort of length target do you think the contest should have? If we extrapolate from 4-7 minutes / 48 hours, the proportional length is 9.9-17.5 minutes.

Those of us with real jobs might find it hard to dedicate five solid days to filming, so I would probably plan two days of principal photography over a weekend and then three nights of editing and post production. That would argue for a Friday night kick-off and a Wednesday night deadline.

Would submissions be via password protected uploads to vimeo / youtube / exposureroom / etc?
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The way I was looking at it, the 555 stands for 5 minutes, 5 days with the 5 D. In DVC challenge we usually limit to 3 to 5, so I am thinking 5 is enough for an even shorter time period shoot, and to get maximum participation. Lets see what kind of interest we get...
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

To add to the fun and make it a learning experience, maybe add some required elements.... rack focus, super shall DOF, macro shot, time lapse... etc....etc.
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm in, as long as it's not in the next couple weeks - just finished two back-to-back timed competitions and I need a break! I'd say shorter is better - 5 minutes is a good max limit.
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

I'm diggin' this idea. If it's any kind of enticement, I can offer some prize packages consisting of various Canon-branded giveaways that I've accumulated over the course of several years worth of working trade shows at Canon's invitation. It's fairly decent swag such as NFL-logo baseball caps, all kinds of pens, flashlights and whatnot. There's enough on hand to build up first, second and third place prize packages and stretch them out over a series of contest rounds.

I can't sell this stuff, and my friends and family already have it, and it's perfect for this concept since it's all Canon branded, which has kept me from handing it out for our DVC and UWOL contests because those are camera agnostic for the most part. I'll try to take some pictures of these trinkets and upload them for you, and then you tell me if it's enough of a carrot to go after.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #8
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
To add to the fun and make it a learning experience, maybe add some required elements.... rack focus, super shall DOF, macro shot, time lapse... etc....etc.
Some of those could be fun to work into genre's that don't typically use them. Three other ideas for possible requirements to be tossed into the hat: at least one deep-focus scene (ala "Citizen Kane"), which would be a change from the super-shallow DOF that everyone loves; limit to one lens choice; and a tracking shot / dialog scene that is a continuous take over 1 minute.

What do you think of the idea of doing a random genre like the 48hfp, but instead of each team receiving their own genre, every team does the same one?

Another variable that I've been thinking about is to have a genre and a style selection. This would mean doing things like Sci-Fi, in the style of silent film, or Romance, in the style of documentary. Some work better together than others; Western/Noir or Mockumentary/Horror would both be fun. A Sci-Fi/Musical might be more challenging, although "Dr. Horrible" did Super hero/Musical really well.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #9
Wizard Status

Possible logo

May I suggest a possible base for a logo for the contest, the humble LM555:
Attached Images

Old August 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Here are some swag pics. I would be happy to bundle these items as prizes.

1. Canon EOS metal body flashlight. Old school bulb, not LED. Batts included.
2. Shoot Digital / Print Direct 4" x 6" fridge magnet photo holder.
3. Plastic light-up yo-yo. Seriously.
4. PowerShot S400 deck of playing cards.
5. Canon Digital learning Center lens cleaning cloth.
6. PowerShot Pro1 plastic lanyard pen (goes back a ways).
7. PowerShot A400 metal light-up pen with two sets of batts.
8. Canon Digital Video metal multi-function pen (black, red, pencil, stylus).
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6717.jpg   Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6718.jpg  

Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6720.jpg   Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6722.jpg  

Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6725.jpg   Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6723.jpg  

Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6724.jpg   Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6727.jpg  

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

And more...

1. Cheap plastic miniature EF 300mm f/2.8 flashlight keychain, LED w/ batts.
2. EOS Digital Rebel plastic multi-funtion carabiner (clock, timer, countdown, thermometer).
3. 4" x 4" x 4" cube of paper for notes... not sticky, no adhesives
4. Travel kit w/ mouse and USB hub. Too bad it's USB 1 and an old-school non-optical mouse.
5. Canon Rebel baseball cap. Blue and white. Size adjusts via friction buckle.
6. Canon Official NFL logo baseball cap. Red. Size adjusts via velcro strap.
7. Maria Sharapova can of three Prince Tour 1 tennis balls.
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6726.jpg   Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6728.jpg  

Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6729.jpg   Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6730.jpg  

Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6733.jpg   Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6735.jpg  

Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6734.jpg   Anybody Up for a 555 Contest (5 days, 5 minutes, with the 5D)-img_6737.jpg  

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD