DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   OS Snow Leopard and raw Mark II clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/333090-os-snow-leopard-raw-mark-ii-clips.html)

Bruce G. Cleveland August 28th, 2009 02:26 PM

OS Snow Leopard and raw Mark II clips

Great news for everyone that edits on a mac. With the new mac os, we can now play and edit raw mark II clips in fcp in a h.264 sequence. The new overhaul of Quicktime makes this possible. I was even able to play a raw clip right from my card in Qucktime, with no jerkiness or other problems. I think this is huge progress.

Jerry

Peter Berg August 28th, 2009 03:59 PM

aah, great news.... can't wait to load her up and give it a whirl...

Raymond Tsang August 28th, 2009 07:27 PM

wow. that'll be big news if I can cut footage on my MBP and preview it smoothly. I know some people say their systems can handle it but not my 1yr old laptop.

Ben Curtis August 29th, 2009 05:58 AM

Just wondering... are we sure the improvement comes from Snow Leopard, rather than Final Cut Studio 3?
What version of Final Cut were you using before and after the Snow Leopard upgrade?
I'm not doubting it, just want to be sure that the origin of the improvement is Snow Leopard...
Cheers,
Ben

Bruce G. Cleveland August 29th, 2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Curtis (Post 1284430)
Just wondering... are we sure the improvement comes from Snow Leopard, rather than Final Cut Studio 3?
What version of Final Cut were you using before and after the Snow Leopard upgrade?
I'm not doubting it, just want to be sure that the origin of the improvement is Snow Leopard...
Cheers,
Ben

I believe this is directly a result of the quicktime overhaul. Just my opinion.

Jerry

Sean Seah August 29th, 2009 08:15 AM

the colour space issue is still unresolved even if direct editing can be done? Am I right?

Mike Williams August 29th, 2009 10:06 AM

Great

I thought the color space thing was resolved a while back with a previous QT update.

This is great news. I have the box with the new FCP here just need to find time to install.

Has anyone created a AVCHD disk and successfully played it on a BR player? If so how many min can you fit onto a reg DVD?

Min Lee August 29th, 2009 10:24 AM

Bruce,
Does this mean the sequence have RT playback options as well? In other words, am I still going to have to render each time a put a simple effect or transition?

Douglas Joseph August 29th, 2009 11:38 AM

I edit on a mac, and I noticed this the other day. When playing a raw clip, the footage is way over saturated and is very red in QT. However, when I just previewed the clip, pressing the space bar, the footage was a much cooler temp. I just bought snow leppy so hopefully that solves it....

Bruce G. Cleveland August 30th, 2009 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Min Lee (Post 1285306)
Bruce,
Does this mean the sequence have RT playback options as well? In other words, am I still going to have to render each time a put a simple effect or transition?

I will do some playing around with some raw footage today and let you know, but I suspect it will require rendering for most things, just as the Z7 footage does. How long it takes though might be another issue.

Jerry

Bruce G. Cleveland August 30th, 2009 08:21 AM

Update

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland (Post 1281848)
Great news for everyone that edits on a mac. With the new mac os, we can now play and edit raw mark II clips in fcp in a h.264 sequence. The new overhaul of Quicktime makes this possible. I was even able to play a raw clip right from my card in Qucktime, with no jerkiness or other problems. I think this is huge progress.

Jerry

So I may have been too excited about the aspect about editing native mark II files. Just playing with a couple clips this morning in fcp. Put a clip at 60% speed, hit render and first got a codec not found message. Tried again and got the out of memory pop up. One more time and fcp crashed after spinning beach ball of death.

Jerry

Nigel Barker August 30th, 2009 11:25 AM

You have always been able to edit native 5DII H.264 .MOV files in FCP even with FCS2 on Leopard. The first video tutorials on Tutorials - Online Training - lynda.com even showed you this as the way to do it. The problem is that it doesn't do it very well as H.264 is an output CODEC & simply not designed for editing. You wind up with glitches & odd things happening & having to render all the time. Its like editing a Postscript or PDF document while it's possible but not really desirable.

It is far easier to convert to ProRes before you start editing.

Bruce G. Cleveland August 30th, 2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1289794)
You have always been able to edit native 5DII H.264 .MOV files in FCP even with FCS2 on Leopard. The first video tutorials on Tutorials - Online Training - lynda.com even showed you this as the way to do it. The problem is that it doesn't do it very well as H.264 is an output CODEC & simply not designed for editing. You wind up with glitches & odd things happening & having to render all the time. Its like editing a Postscript or PDF document while it's possible but not really desirable.

I was never even able to play the clip in the timeline before and now I can, but you make a great point and I guess I will have to go back to converting using streamclip.

Bryce Olejniczak August 30th, 2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1289794)

and proress makes sure your picture won't break down any further. It won't add color information that isn't there, but you will have a "RAW" image from that point on. Just do a test... apply the same grade to a h.264 and a proress, the proress will be much sharper and hold together where the straight h.264 will be soft and muddy in some areas.