DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Loupe time... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/347198-loupe-time.html)

Peer Landa September 1st, 2009 05:11 AM

Loupe time...

Okay, so finally I realized that also I need a loupe. Hence, I'd like to know which one I should go for and which/what I should stay away from. Since I'm no stranger to modifying & building my own stuff, I wouldn't mind hacking something together myself, as long as it works well. Any & all suggestions are appreciated.

-- peer

Richard Van Le September 1st, 2009 09:17 AM

Here are the options that I've seen:

Z-Finder v2 from Zacuto
Z-Finder - Zacuto

Hoodman Loupe 3.0
HoodLoupe 3.0-Hoodman Corporation

LCDVF
LCD ViewFinder for Canon 5D Mark II - $169!

Cavision LCD Viewfinder
LCD Viewfinder Set with Connection Piece and Plate

Personally I ended up going with the Zacuto Z-Finder. No doubt, its pricey. But it's solidly built and has completely changed how I film with the 5D for the better.

Toenis Liivamaegi September 1st, 2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1297131)
Okay, so finally I realized that also I need a loupe. Hence, I'd like to know which one I should go for and which/what I should stay away from. Since I'm no stranger to modifying & building my own stuff, I wouldn't mind hacking something together myself, as long as it works well. Any & all suggestions are appreciated.

-- peer

Send me an email (tonis at autonomicum.com) on the LCDVF and let's see if I can help you out as you are sometimes even too active :)and well known on the boards we would like to to help you.
Nowadays the only marketing that is viable is via customers feedback and hopefully I don't interfere with DVinfo marketing rules right now.

The two bad things about the LCDVF are hat it is as robust as not offering fine threads for dioptre correction and if you are really afraid of fridge magnets (As those could affect magnetic media from 5mm direct contact that may include MicroDrives).

T

Richard Gooderick September 7th, 2009 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Van Le (Post 1297921)

Today it says that this website is being updated.
Does anyone know if this product is available and if it has been reviewed anywhere?

Tom Daigon September 7th, 2009 07:12 AM

The Z finder from Zacuto is spectacular!

Richard Gooderick September 7th, 2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Daigon (Post 1323003)
The Z finder from Zacuto is spectacular!

Yes, and so is the price. Even more so when you take shipping and taxes into account.
I'm sure it's very well made and designed but I could almost buy a monitor for that amount.
So I'd be interested in finding out more about the LCDVF, assuming it isn't vapourware.

Matt Gottshalk September 7th, 2009 08:10 AM

You only buy quality ONCE.

The Zfinder V2 is worth every penny.

Tom Daigon September 7th, 2009 08:25 AM

Richard, I bought the Zacuto because I got tired of waiting for the LCDVF, which I purchased over a month ago and still havnt received. Toenis seems to indicate any day now.

Richard Gooderick September 7th, 2009 09:46 AM

Tom
Many thanks. I can see the problem. I'll keep an eye on DV info then. Hopefully Toenis will post something soon.

Matt
Generally speaking I completely agree eg I bought the best sound equipment I could afford.
However for me the 5DmkII is a learning experience. I _may_ use it for some paying work but I've bought it primarily to learn and experiment with different lenses and a more filmic style.
It's not my principal camera. I don't expect to still be using it in a year's time and I doubt whether whatever replaces it will need a Loupe.
By then I will probably have sold it and my XH A1 and will have bought a new product from Sony, Nikon or Canon.
For someone like Phil Bloom the Zacuto is chicken feed because it's earning its keep many times over. But as a temporary aid to self-guided learning it's expensive.
Of course I may produce a 5DmkII masterpiece, in which case I will stump up the cash for whatever works best :-)

Bruce Foreman September 11th, 2009 09:58 AM

I have and use both the Hoodloupe 3.0 and the CAVISION viewfinder.

The Hoodloupe optical system offers no magnification but it does very effectively block out light and give a clear, bright image one can work with. For me it is a very "generic" solution as I can use it with both DSLR (I have the Canon T1i) and primary video cameras (Canon HF100's). Let it hang from the neckstrap, grab and hold on the LCD as needed, then drop it to dangle from the neckstrap again. I ordered it with the camcorder mounting strap so attached to the HF100 LCD in this manner the HF100 now has an easy to use large EVF. The Hoodloupe also fairly easily is held on the T1i with a large rubber band.

The CAVISION viewfinder was ordered as a kit (primarily designed for the 5D MkII) with a mounting plate, and an extra "riser" plate to get the T1i up higher to try to align properly to the T1i LCD. The "fit" is not perfect, the bottom of the LCD is partially obscured (shutter, F-stop, ISO, and battery check data is not fully visible) but CAVISION recommended a "swing away" adapter and that was a good idea. The eyepiece is 6X and it's LARGE making this viewfinder a dream to work with. It is not easy on, easy off (takes me about 2 minutes or so) making this better suited for other than "grab out of the bag" short sessions.

I've used both handheld (against the eye gives a third point of contact) and mounted on a SpiderBrace II Combo with good results.

But some kind of a loupe is almost necessary outdoors. For "quick and convenient" order the Hoodloupe 3.0 (consider the "cinema strap" with it) and get used to it. Or as an alternative order the CAVISION product with the rubber adapter (protects the camera finish) and rig your own neckstrap if CAVISION doesn't have it.

Bill Pryor September 11th, 2009 10:40 AM

Bruce, I've been looking at that Cavision for use on a possible 7D. There's a thread I started in that forum. They have it with a swing-away plate, and you can buy a whole package consisting of the shoulder mount and rods, etc., for a fairly reasonable price.

I know their magnifier does not have an adjustable diopter, but as you say it is very big. Do you wear glasses and if so is there any problem there for you?

Redrock now has, for only $55 an attachment that mounts the Hoodman 3.0 with a bracket attached to the bottom of the camera. That looks pretty sturdy. Apparently the eyepiece unscrews and you slip the Redrock over and screw the eyepiece back on, then attach the Redrock to the bottom of the camera I assume you'd have to unscrew it to mount the camera on a tripod, or maybe put it under your quick release plate--it's fairly thing. To me this makes the Hoodman 3.0 very desirable because it has the adjustable diopter. I like the Zacuto too but it requires sticking on a frame to the camera body, and in their video they show rubber bands much like Hoodman, saying you don't really need them but if you don't really need them, then why have them.

Dan Brockett September 11th, 2009 02:54 PM

Just wanted to chime in, I just received my free Z-Finder 2.0. I bought the Z-Finder 1.0 in May for a project, I used it and then Zacuto updated it to the V2.0 for free! I am very happy with the changes/improvements on the V2.0, it works very well and is easier and more pleasant to use than the V 1.0

This is why Zacuto is worth it, I don't see any of the other manufacturers doing this.

Dan

Tom Daigon September 11th, 2009 05:24 PM

Its funny...before I bought the amazing iDC "U Boat Commander (silly name, versatile product) I googled the various Zacuto Gunstock Shooters to see what peoples / owners
opinions were. Nothing came up.
Before I bought the Z finder 2 I also did a search and was BURIED with positive reports
on the product. I love it as well. I wonder if they are selling tons more viewers that DSLR gunstock shooters.
Whatever, Im very glad I have the Z finder AND the iDC UBC (that sounds better).

Ray Bell September 11th, 2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1340518)
Redrock now has, for only $55 an attachment that mounts the Hoodman 3.0 with a bracket attached to the bottom of the camera.

Bill, I purchased the Redrock attachment, the only way I can describe the product is...

IT IS DANGEROUS....

The metal is so thin its like a knife blade or a thick razor blade, it will
cut you very easily. I took some super fine sand paper to dull the edge sharpness but its now just a duller knife. I took it off of the camera... I don't think Redrock has a return
policy that I know of or it would be going back. I think the issue is that the metal is
thin and I'm sure that the manufacturing process is " punch metal " and that leaves
the sharp edges. There are ways to burnish the edges during the manufacturing process
but it looks like they have not implemented any steps in that direction.

What really needs to happen to make the Hoodman a viable product is for Hoodman to come up with a frame that attaches to the camera so the Hoodman wont slide all over the
display. The frames are cheap to make....

Dan Chung September 11th, 2009 09:30 PM

Just wanted to chime in, after almost a year of DIY LCD loupes I've received some Z-finder V2s yesterday for my various cameras. I am very impressed both with the build and the image, nothing else comes close. I'm no Zacuto fanboy but after using the Hoodloupe and various modified Schneider and Pentax loupes I can say the Z-finder is just better. The attachment method suits my working style. I use a Thinktank photo backpack to carry two bodies and all the lenses. The z-finder allows me to quickly dismantle my rig and pop it away in a bag the same way I would if it were a purely photo set up, other set ups I've seen won't let me do this as the finders just won't come off quickly and are odd shapes to put in a bag efficiently.

I also got the z-bands which work a treat giving an extra level of assurance that my precious finder is not going to fall off.

Dan