Thoughts of selling 5D2 for 7D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Jaser,

There is no advantage I can think of for buying the Tokina in Nikon fit, far simpler just to get the Canon fitting one.

Dan
Unless you think Nikon is going to hit the streets with a new improved video SLR. That way you can go "both ways".
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #17
Major Player

Chris,

To use the Tokina in Nikon mount on the 7D you would need to either get the expensive Nikon g lens adapter or use the aperture jamming trick. Far simpler to get a Canon fit one. Also the Tokina is APS-C / DX sensor optimised throughout its range and can only really be used at 16mm on a FX full frame sensor. Given that a future Nikon is likely to be FX this is not wise investment.

Don,

Agreed the Nikon 14-24 and Canon 16-35 f2.8L II are great lenses especially on the 5DmkII, just not really all that great on a 7D. I'd have a hard time justifying buying either for a 7D when the Tokina is so much cheaper and other f2.8 mid range APS-C sensor zooms are around. Canon 24-70 is also a great lens, but not my favourite range on the 7D.

In the 85mm range I'd take the Zeiss f1.4 over any of the Canons for video. Phil Bloom's just come to the same conclusion. For stills the Canon 85mm f1.2 is the best but its fly by wire focus is not as good an old fashioned MF ring for video. (interesting side note - I was actually the featured photographer in the Canon ad campaign for the 85mm f1.2L II) The Nikon 85mm f1.4 and f1.8 and f2's are also great.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #18
Trustee

I also love the zeiss 1.4 85mm (though I've never used the canon version).

I will say i'm in the same boat though, I don't know if it's worthwhile to try and sell the 5dm2 (I think I'll be breaking even as I've already made some money off of it) and go wit the 7d. The notion of not having to answer a bunch of post production questions for clients is REALLY appealing. And given that it's pretty much the same sensor size as a red, it seems like it might not be a bad idea. On the other hand I really like the full frame sensor.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD