DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5D not recognizing genuine canon battery? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/377191-5d-not-recognizing-genuine-canon-battery.html)

Craig Turner September 9th, 2009 01:42 AM

5D not recognizing genuine canon battery?

Hi Guys

Just after any suggestions on what I should do in this situation.

When I turn my 5D on it is now saying:
"Cannot communicate with battery, Use this battery?"

It is a genuine canon battery and is the one that came in the box with camera. It was working before and now is just saying that. I can select "ok" and the camera works fine but I have lost my battery life indicator. The battery and cam is only 2 months old.

The terminals both in the camera and on the battery appear clean and undamaged.

I have also tried completely discharging the battery and re-charging it. no luck.

Any tips would be appreciated :-)

Christian Ionescu September 9th, 2009 02:09 AM

Maybe it's broken. If you plug / unplug the charger while the battery is in it you may brake the battery. It happened to me.

Bill Binder September 10th, 2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Ionescu (Post 1330537)
Maybe it's broken. If you plug / unplug the charger while the battery is in it you may brake the battery. It happened to me.

That's how I ALWAYS plug it in/out, LOL. Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Hugh Buttsworth September 17th, 2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Turner (Post 1330528)
When I turn my 5D on it is now saying:
"Cannot communicate with battery, Use this battery?"

It is a genuine canon battery and is the one that came in the box with camera. It was working before and now is just saying that. I can select "ok" and the camera works fine but I have lost my battery life indicator. The battery and cam is only 2 months old.

Hi Craig

I have a couple of 3rd party batteries and some genuine batteries. The genuine ones work and show all the right info as supposed to. The 3rd party batteries do exactly the same as what you've described.

Although your camera thinks your batteries are not genuine, they'll probably still run your camera without damaging it, like my 3rd party batteries. I think the Canon batteries have a chip in them and yours has failed along the way. Will warranty replace them for you? Perhaps the camera shop you bought it from will just swap them over in the name of customer service.

Craig Turner September 22nd, 2009 07:53 PM

Hey Hugh,
Yeah, same, have a couple of generic batteries which have never been detected. But the genuine one always has. Just concerned it might be the camera rather than the battery.

Have had shocking shocking experiences with the Australian Canon service centers in the past and I'm really hoping I don't have to give them my camera... ever.

I might just drop by the camera shop and test with another battery for now I guess.

cheers guys.