Cineform vs. ProRes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 11th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform vs. ProRes

I apologize if this has been covered before. I tried the search function on here but it didn't yield any results that pertained to my question.

My previous workflow was:
shoot to tape (HDV format)-->convert to cineform's NeoHD avi---> edit in vegas.

Now im shooting on a 5D II, --> rewrap .mov file in cineform using Neo HD--> edit in FCP.

Recently , I attended a one week training course on FCP and we compared cineforms NEO HD to apples ProRes. The 4 of us in the class all agreed the ProRes looked slghtly better. Comparing frames, the one in ProRes had less jaggies in the picture than the cineform one.

The question I have is, is this the consensus among users here as well?

If so, now that I have switched to FCP, should I just use ProRes and get rid of Neo HD? I cant see any advantage to keeping Neo HD, especially since I use color with FCP instead of first light with Neo HD.

Lastly, can I legally sell my copy I purchased of Neo HD and transfer the serial number to the new owner?
Geoff Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Brandon View Post
I apologize if this has been covered before. I tried the search function on here but it didn't yield any results that pertained to my question.

My previous workflow was:
shoot to tape (HDV format)-->convert to cineform's NeoHD avi---> edit in vegas.

Now im shooting on a 5D II, --> rewrap .mov file in cineform using Neo HD--> edit in FCP.

Recently , I attended a one week training course on FCP and we compared cineforms NEO HD to apples ProRes. The 4 of us in the class all agreed the ProRes looked slghtly better. Comparing frames, the one in ProRes had less jaggies in the picture than the cineform one.

The question I have is, is this the consensus among users here as well?

If so, now that I have switched to FCP, should I just use ProRes and get rid of Neo HD? I cant see any advantage to keeping Neo HD, especially since I use color with FCP instead of first light with Neo HD.

Lastly, can I legally sell my copy I purchased of Neo HD and transfer the serial number to the new owner?
I just made the exact same switch. I am only using ProRes now. The quality seems slightly better, but I'm mostly using ProRes because it just seems to make sense to keep my entire workflow within the Apple pipeline. ProRes, I believe, also comes in more flavors from LT to 4:4:4:4, at least in FCP 7.
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Is this what you would recommend for a 'newbie' working in the following workflow...

1. Capture on 5D MkII

2. Convert raw .MOV files to .AVI with NeoHD (would you recommend NeoHD or ProRes?)
*is this the recommended process for converting the raw files off of the 5D II?

3. Edit with Sony Vegas Pro 9.0

4. Render final product (whatever format client desires) using Sony Vegas Pro 9.0

????? Advice / Recommendations ?????

Instead of using NeoScene, should I be using NeoHD?

Thanks in advance !!!
Billy Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Assuming you have to work in Vegas and not FCP, NeoScene is fine, no need for Neo HD.
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

One thing that Cineform doesn't do a good job of is to communicate to people that Cineform is a baseline product that takes compressed footage and converts it to a wavelet format and that Cineform offers added options that enhance the Cineform baseline product.

Options like, scaling footage, 24P pulldown, conversion choice of MOV or AVI, color grading
4.4.4 10bit conversion and more... you just have to determine what options are important
to your work flow and purchase the product you need...

I've never worked with Pro Res and cannot comment on it...

I do know that the footage coming out of Cineform looks very good and is very easy to
edit with.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm trying the NeoHD software right now, and one thing I note; I don't see an option for converting 30p to 29.97 NTSC standard fps.

Is this something it does automatically, or rather, should I just worry about the frame rate once finished editing in Vegas Pro 9.0 ???

I do not have an option of going to FCP right now, so I am left with working in Vegas software only. I'm very comfortable with Vegas, and since I don't plan on producing any feature films anytime soon, all I need are the 'basics.'

So the consensus is that I don't need NeoHD? Just stick with Neoscene and convert all H.264 .MOV raw files out of the camera to .AVI with the Neoscene software?

And as this thread author wrote, is Neoscene better than Prores?
Billy Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Major Player

The OP said he had switched to FCP
Billy, better to start a new thread with a new topic
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Billy, NeoScene does everything you need for standard editing in Vegas. It automatically slows video to 29.97fps without dropping frames, and slows the audio to match. If you want to match external audio, you will need to slow it by 0.1%.

Is ProRes better? I don't know, as I don't have FinalCut. As a Vegas user, ProRes isn't really an option, and NeoScene looks great to me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD