DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   SMPTE timecode in the 5D Mark II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/393642-smpte-timecode-5d-mark-ii.html)

Tramm Hudson September 13th, 2009 10:09 AM

SMPTE timecode in the 5D Mark II

Magic Lantern - SMPTE timecode into the Canon 5D Mark II

This is a short preview of a new feature that I'm cooking up for the Magic Lantern firmware for the 5D Mark II. Currently it is a proof-of-concept; it's long way from being useful on the set. I am using a one minute MP3 of LTC that I am playing out of my iPod for testing. If I had a timecode slate and audio gear that used timecode, it would probably develop faster. I still prefer shooting single system audio, but occasionally want to be able to separate the audio crew from the film crew.

David W. Taylor September 13th, 2009 12:26 PM

A very interesting project Tramm, adding smpte to the camera...even if it does use up the audio track.
I had in the past thought of feeding smpte into the audio track in on my camera, but with no ability to 'embed' the code into the video file I couldn't see how I could use smpte in the 5D2 workflow. As you know the picture file needs to be somehow relatable to the separated audio track tc, so I'm really looking forward to see how you get on with this.

Tramm Hudson September 13th, 2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Taylor (Post 1349006)
A very interesting project Tramm, adding smpte to the camera...even if it does use up the audio track.

I'm hoping to not need the feed continuously, but instead to be able to jam the timecode into the camera at the start of a shooting day or scene and have the camera free run during the shoot. It remains to be seen if the internal clock is sufficiently stable for this to work over the long term.

Peer Landa September 13th, 2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson (Post 1348581)
This is a short preview of a new feature that I'm cooking up for the Magic Lantern firmware for the 5D Mark II.

This is truly something I'm interested in. (By the way, it's spelled SMPTE ;^)

-- peer

Don Miller September 13th, 2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson (Post 1349018)
I'm hoping to not need the feed continuously, but instead to be able to jam the timecode into the camera at the start of a shooting day or scene and have the camera free run during the shoot. It remains to be seen if the internal clock is sufficiently stable for this to work over the long term.

Or it could do timecode out?

Tramm Hudson September 13th, 2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1349219)
(By the way, it's spelled SMPTE ;^)

You mean you can't use it to exchange email? Chris -- can you fix the title?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller
Or it could do timecode out?

I haven't figured out how to drive the audio output circuits. The other uses that I have considered for audio out would be to provide audible signals to the camera operator of the approaching 4 GB limit, running out of card space or temperature warnings.

Chris Hurd September 13th, 2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson (Post 1349758)
Chris -- can you fix the title?

No problem -- done,

Peer Landa September 13th, 2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

The other uses that I have considered for audio out would be to provide audible signals to the camera operator of the approaching 4 GB limit, running out of card space

Think I would prefer the screen to flash a few times instead of an audible signal (that would get recorded).

-- peer

Mike Demmers September 13th, 2009 06:37 PM

Camera locked to LTC means multicam shoots all locked together and with locked audio.

This is utterly astonishing in this price range.

Unbelievable.

-MD

Tom Daigon September 13th, 2009 09:34 PM

But it seems most multi-camera shoots I have edited over the years seem to use TIME OF DAY (using the tc generator on each camera) synced and run on all cameras. Its easier and cheaper then tethering them all together.

Mike Demmers September 14th, 2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Daigon (Post 1350603)
But it seems most multi-camera shoots I have edited over the years seem to use TIME OF DAY (using the tc generator on each camera) synced and run on all cameras. Its easier and cheaper then tethering them all together.

Which works fine most of the time.

But if you need to do a 12 hour concert with multitrack audio recording, it is really handy to not have the cameras and audio decks slowly slip out of sync, which they will, over that much time.

Also handy for doing music videos, where the music was done first.

And if you are doing 3D, perfectly synced cameras are essential. That is one area I see this as opening up a whole new world for this camera.

-MD

Nick Hiltgen September 14th, 2009 08:04 AM

I would love this ability as I'm trying to do a multicam 5dm2 shoot in a couple of months (we were just planning on slating and going off the click but having locked timecode would be that much better)

Since we're talking about SMPTE I would love to make a request to Tramm or anyone that might already be doing it. Is there SMPTE color bars that can be loaded onto the memory card (or firmware) so we can use it to calibrate the monitors on set, this seems like it would be a handy thing to have added into the firmware as well.

Thank you tramm for all of your work.

Bill Binder September 14th, 2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

The other uses that I have considered for audio out would be to provide audible signals to the camera operator of the approaching 4 GB limit

No audio warning needed actually, JUST START A NEW FILE FOR US!!!

I will love you even more than I already do if you could add this capability... <SMILE>