Zacuto Z-Finder V2 Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Zacuto Z-Finder V2 Review

Zacuto Z-Finder V2 ::

Last edited by Greg Milneck; September 15th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
Greg Milneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Contributor

Hey, Greg--a question about the loupe...does it stay attached OK? Like, if you put the camera in a bag with the loupe attached, do you knock it off easily or does it stay put OK? On the Zacuto site in their video they show the little rubber bands to hold it on in case it gets bumped. I'm wondering how sensitive that really is.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Hey, Greg--a question about the loupe...does it stay attached OK? Like, if you put the camera in a bag with the loupe attached, do you knock it off easily or does it stay put OK? On the Zacuto site in their video they show the little rubber bands to hold it on in case it gets bumped. I'm wondering how sensitive that really is.
Not Bill, but my experience is the Z finder has a good solid connection. Depending on your bag, it might be wise just to pop it off. Either that or get the z bands for added support.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I pretty much agree with Greg's review. It is a great inprovement on my previous Hoodloupe/i-Cuff viewer combination but it actually takes a day to get use to the 3x magnification. That, as Greg points out, is because it now shows up the 5D2's LCD as being pretty poor resolution.
Still you can focus accurately with the Z-finder which is the justification for paying the price in the end.
Interestingly this is the first I'd heard of a 'higher' camera mounting block now being included. I have a 'pre-ordered' Z-finder which came with only the original block and being a glasses wearer I have my focus adjust screwed right out.
I didn't get on with the Zacuto lanyard however and have a simpler, more easily unpluggable one..hated the advertising all over the lanyard as well. But then even the Canon logos on my camera are blacked out!
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mine did include both the smaller and larger frame...but no mention at all in the instructions as to why there were 2 or which one to use. I may switch to the shorter one in a week or two and see if it works with my glasses as the taller one is almost in the way.

The connection is very firm and have not had an issue with it coming off, although I wouldn't recommend casing it attached. I remove mine in my case as it takes seconds to put on. The rubber bands look like a pos imo...I would skip them.

FYI- my case wouldnt allow it to remain attached anyways as I dont have room (I am using a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 50)...so honestly I have never tried leaving it on in the case.
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #6
New Boot

Greg, how bad is your vision? I'm nearsighted with a -1.5 prescription. I'm interested in picking up the Z-Finder, but am hesitant because of the larger frame possibly being an annoyance to me when using the viewfinder for shooting stills. I'm trying to anticipate if the stock frame will work with my vision.
Ryan Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Quan View Post
Greg, how bad is your vision? I'm nearsighted with a -1.5 prescription. I'm interested in picking up the Z-Finder, but am hesitant because of the larger frame possibly being an annoyance to me when using the viewfinder for shooting stills. I'm trying to anticipate if the stock frame will work with my vision.
I think I am +2 plus I have an astigmatism...it sucks getting old. My vision was 20/20 until I hit 40...then steadily down hill.
Old September 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Contributor

I hear ya--Perfect vision, never wore glasses until I turned 40. Far sighted, which means my lenses cost as much as some camera lenses.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Zacuto Finder V2 Review.

I have problem eyesight.... Contact lenses, left eye reading, right eye, distance, + booster half frame reading glasses, when all else fails. I'm really pleased with my Zacuto Finder, the magnification allows for easy tracking focus... Really good value.

As a point of interest, I removed the lanyard strap and Z bands. Replaced by a compact and practical DIY safety device. A loop of cord threaded through the lanyard eye bracket, about 3 in long. Two rubber bands, side by side (for extra strength & security) were daisy chained to the cord. The rubber band is stretched around the top of camera body , east west, to provide a safety link, in the unlikely event of accidently bumping the Z Finder from it's mounting frame...Works well for me.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #10
Major Player

Ron,

I've been looking for a solution like that, can you post a picture please?

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Safety Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Ron,

I've been looking for a solution like that, can you post a picture please?

Dan
Dan,

This should do the job!

Ron.
Attached Thumbnails
Zacuto Z-Finder V2 Review-img_1928.jpg   Zacuto Z-Finder V2 Review-img_1930.jpg  

Zacuto Z-Finder V2 Review-img_1931.jpg  
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I once knew a man, his name was Jed...
Old September 20th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #13
Trustee

My pre ordered ver did not come with the extra camera mounting block too. I too fine that the resolution of the LCD is not that good. I'm gonna try it on the 7D today and have a look.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:18 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed...
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Zacutto viewfinder, $ 450,

Twine and rubber band, priceless.....

Now that is my kind of mod....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD