one lens has to go - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I am aware of the 7D and I am reading that forum also. the cropping does seem to effect people's lens selection.
my thoughts on what i will use the camera for would make me think i will be on sticks, but life experience tells me that it is best to be prepared for any eventuality.
in the back of my mind i can hear the man who i inherited the 5D from saying "when you sell it , you don't own it any more." simple but true
please continue to comment on all possibilities, i am learning and asking myself questions from every contribution.
thank you all
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM   #17
Contributor

You have to decide what you are shooting. IS is great for handheld stuff where there is enough light to stop your subject but for other circumstances like concert shooting you'll need the extra stop of light.

From a video perspective F4 would be a slowish lens, but because you're dealing with a fairly large sensor the high ISO performance (gain) is better than most camcorders. In any case I wouldn't advocate keeping both lenses unless you are going to carry around two bodies.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #18
Regular Crew

thank you all for your input.
i am going to sell the 5D EOS camera body on ebay.
after i get the 5DMark II i will try both zooms and see if i want or need both.
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #19
Tourist

I would keep the 24-70. I have both and use both regularly. I like the extra reach of the 24-105 and the IS. I like the extra DOF control and low light performance of the 24-70. For still photography, it's a wash. For video, the 24-70 is my favorite.

One reason is the wider aperture. I like the extra DOF control. While IS is nice, it is of limited value in video. You can only lower your shutter speed so far without having motion blur problems.

Another big negative for the 24-105 is barrel distortion at the wide end. With still shots, it is easy to correct. It's harder with video. It you shoot scenes with vertical lines (wall corners, door frames, etc) near the edge of your frame, they appear distractingly bowed.
Mark Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #20
Regular Crew

thank you Mark
that makes a lot of sense to me
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD