ProRes needs rendering? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Major Player

ProRes needs rendering?

I apologize in advance for the double post, but can't seem to get any distinct answers over in the mac thread and I REALLY need this fixed. Also, I'm beginning to think that this is maybe a 5d issue?

Anyway, I have always transcoded my footage out from MpegStreamclip to ProRes422. This has been working flawlessly for me until recently. Now when I drop my clips onto the timeline I get the prompt to sync up settings for the timeline to match the footage and I click yes. I almost had a heart attack when I saw a red bar across the top of my footage. It wants me to render ProRes footage? Since when?

ALL OF MY SETTINGS ON BOTH THE TIMELINE AND THE FOOTAGE MATCH. 30fps, upper field dominance, ProRes422, etc.

Like I said, I never had this problem in the past so I opened up an old project that I know that I didn't have this problem in, and when I dropped some footage into that timeline it did the same thing. It wants me to render? Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so please help me fix this. My projects are taking me 3-4 times longer than they should and it is putting me so far behind in my work.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Have you made any updates lately?

How are you viewing your timeline, AJA Matrox or just CPU and monitor?

What versions of OS, FCP and CPU are you using.

Are you set up with RAID?

If you are not using a raid put media on fastest drive.

If your drive / drives are slow or corrupt you may have problems playing back footage.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Olof was able to fix my problem in the other thread. Thanks again Olof! In case any of you come across this in the future, here is the fix - "Trash the prefs and do a restart and reset PRAM (hold command, option, P and R keys down while starting let 4 "dings" go by then let go of keys, and let mac start."

No more rendering ProRes clips and no more tearing my hair out.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
30fps, upper field dominance, ProRes422, etc.
Am I wrong or shouldn't the "Field Dominance" be set to "None" with 5D footage?
Tommi Hares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi Hares View Post
Am I wrong or shouldn't the "Field Dominance" be set to "None" with 5D footage?
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the 5D shoots 2 interlaced fields to make up a "progressive" image. Therefore it still carries an upper field dominance as with all HD footage. For it to be true progressive you would have to deinterlace.
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Olof was able to fix my problem in the other thread. Thanks again Olof! In case any of you come across this in the future, here is the fix - "Trash the prefs and do a restart and reset PRAM (hold command, option, P and R keys down while starting let 4 "dings" go by then let go of keys, and let mac start."

No more rendering ProRes clips and no more tearing my hair out.
Thanks for sharing this valuable tip Olof / Ryan!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the 5D shoots 2 interlaced fields to make up a "progressive" image. Therefore it still carries an upper field dominance as with all HD footage. For it to be true progressive you would have to deinterlace.
The 5D2 output is native 30p. It's not spread over a 60i stream.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The 5D2 output is native 30p. It's not spread over a 60i stream.
I completely trust your knowledge on the subject Jon, but out of sheer curiosity why is the raw 5DII footage interlaced?

Old September 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

When I load an original file in Vegas 8 and open the properties window, it's set to "progressive" by default. I'm not sure what's up with the QT window.

I wonder if it is set as progressive in one field, and odd/even is in another field. It's possible that Canon set the metadata to the nonsensical "progressive/odd" setting. I would guess that the field dominance entry is a "don't care" when progressive is set to "true".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD