DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   My latest thoughts on 5DmkII rolling shutter in my latest vid (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/451326-my-latest-thoughts-5dmkii-rolling-shutter-my-latest-vid.html)

Dan Chung September 28th, 2009 09:33 PM

My latest thoughts on 5DmkII rolling shutter in my latest vid

New 5DmkII news feature video – lots of rolling shutter, does it matter? DSLR News Shooter

Dan

Dean Gill September 29th, 2009 12:32 AM

Hi Dan,

I don't find the rolling shutter effect so disturbing in your video.
In my case, being a storm chaser, it's an other thing, especially with lightning. Here is an example :
YouTube - Supercell and lightning - Lamar Co, 11 June 2009
Having an ex-1 which also suffers from rolling shutter, the problem appears less severe.

Dan Brockett September 29th, 2009 08:32 AM

Hi Dan:

Nice coverage in your story. What a great chance to shoot those reenactments, those are always interesting and fun to shoot. I barely noticed the rolling shutter, just saw it in a few shots and I don't hink the average viewer would even notice.

I have always thought that rolling shutter is a much bigger deal to us than to most audiences. I agree, if you are shooting a feature, it would be highly amplified on a larger screen or on projection but as web video and even DVDs on average sized TVs, I don't find it to be much of an issue for most situations unless you are shooting sports doing fast pans on long lenses.

Dan

Peer Landa September 29th, 2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1411550)
My latest thoughts on 5DmkII rolling shutter -- lots of rolling shutter, does it matter?

Perhaps I'm more picky when it comes to audio -- but no, I can not see too much and/or obvious/annoying jelly-shutter in your footage. However, what I can see is a great piece of work. Good going there, Dan.

-- peer (who loves wide lenses too ;^)

Dean Gill September 29th, 2009 02:57 PM

Yeah, I forgot to tell you because it's so obvious... you did an excellent job!! Congratulations!

Daniel Bates September 29th, 2009 03:06 PM

I barely noticed any rolling shutter. I'm sure it's there; I just can't pay attention to it because of the compelling subject matter and technical execution. Bravo!

One thing I did notice is how often the reenactors flagged each other, especially in the opening few shots... *wince*

Mike Hannon September 29th, 2009 03:42 PM

Hi Dan,

i really enjoyed watching the piece. However for me the rolling shutter was very obvious and distracted my attention.

When I first got my camera and took some normal handheld shots at 50mm I was disgusted by the rolling shutter - so maybe it's just me.

I agree that 90% of viewers will not notice it, and of those that do I'm sure that few would care.

Noah Yuan-Vogel September 30th, 2009 01:05 AM

Normally im quite sensitive to rolling shutter artifacts, but I really didnt mind it in this piece except for one really shaky telephoto shot with an explosion (at 1:10). the wide angle running stuff really isnt that bad. maybe its because i was expecting it to be really noticeable based on the thread title. i see some artifacting and im sure if anything footage got slowed down or stabilized youd really start seeing the image stretch and skew but its not bad considering how much movement there is.

Tony Davies-Patrick September 30th, 2009 03:56 AM

Dean, in your storm footage I would be more concerned about obtaining decent sound and using a tripod or IS, than worrying about rolling shutter... :)

Peer Landa September 30th, 2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1416920)
Dean, in your storm footage I would be more concerned about obtaining decent sound and using a tripod or IS, than worrying about rolling shutter... :)

I agree, and I also think Dean's name tag (watermark) is a bit distracting -- it makes the shake look worse.

-- peer

Dean Gill September 30th, 2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1416920)

Yes Tony, I'm aware of that. Actually, I shot the same scene with an EX-1 on a tripod. But at that time I didn't have a wide angle adapter on it. With the 24-70mm lens of the 5D I was able to get most of the storm structure. That's why I choosed the 5D footage for this scene, even if it's shaky and exhibits rollling shutter artifacts with lightning. But the "partition" or "decomposition" artifacts of the lightning bolt are not exactly what I'm looking for.

Bruce Foreman September 30th, 2009 01:15 PM

Dan,

As one who had to be familiar with the Chinese military capability while in military service, I found your short feature fascinating. I like the way you intercut spectators and the 90 year old PLA veteran with the re-enactors footage.

I could not see any objectionable rolling shutter effect, I think I see the lack of smooth motion in the running scenes due to high shutter speed. But we accept this as part of the way you had to keep up with things.

I liked it!