My latest thoughts on 5DmkII rolling shutter in my latest vid at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Major Player

My latest thoughts on 5DmkII rolling shutter in my latest vid

New 5DmkII news feature video – lots of rolling shutter, does it matter? DSLR News Shooter

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

I don't find the rolling shutter effect so disturbing in your video.
In my case, being a storm chaser, it's an other thing, especially with lightning. Here is an example :
YouTube - Supercell and lightning - Lamar Co, 11 June 2009
Having an ex-1 which also suffers from rolling shutter, the problem appears less severe.
Dean Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Dan:

Nice coverage in your story. What a great chance to shoot those reenactments, those are always interesting and fun to shoot. I barely noticed the rolling shutter, just saw it in a few shots and I don't hink the average viewer would even notice.

I have always thought that rolling shutter is a much bigger deal to us than to most audiences. I agree, if you are shooting a feature, it would be highly amplified on a larger screen or on projection but as web video and even DVDs on average sized TVs, I don't find it to be much of an issue for most situations unless you are shooting sports doing fast pans on long lenses.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
My latest thoughts on 5DmkII rolling shutter -- lots of rolling shutter, does it matter?
Perhaps I'm more picky when it comes to audio -- but no, I can not see too much and/or obvious/annoying jelly-shutter in your footage. However, what I can see is a great piece of work. Good going there, Dan.

-- peer (who loves wide lenses too ;^)
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, I forgot to tell you because it's so obvious... you did an excellent job!! Congratulations!
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I barely noticed any rolling shutter. I'm sure it's there; I just can't pay attention to it because of the compelling subject matter and technical execution. Bravo!

One thing I did notice is how often the reenactors flagged each other, especially in the opening few shots... *wince*
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

i really enjoyed watching the piece. However for me the rolling shutter was very obvious and distracted my attention.

When I first got my camera and took some normal handheld shots at 50mm I was disgusted by the rolling shutter - so maybe it's just me.

I agree that 90% of viewers will not notice it, and of those that do I'm sure that few would care.
Mike Hannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Normally im quite sensitive to rolling shutter artifacts, but I really didnt mind it in this piece except for one really shaky telephoto shot with an explosion (at 1:10). the wide angle running stuff really isnt that bad. maybe its because i was expecting it to be really noticeable based on the thread title. i see some artifacting and im sure if anything footage got slowed down or stabilized youd really start seeing the image stretch and skew but its not bad considering how much movement there is.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #9
Trustee

Dean, in your storm footage I would be more concerned about obtaining decent sound and using a tripod or IS, than worrying about rolling shutter... :)
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
Dean, in your storm footage I would be more concerned about obtaining decent sound and using a tripod or IS, than worrying about rolling shutter... :)
I agree, and I also think Dean's name tag (watermark) is a bit distracting -- it makes the shake look worse.

-- peer
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
Yes Tony, I'm aware of that. Actually, I shot the same scene with an EX-1 on a tripod. But at that time I didn't have a wide angle adapter on it. With the 24-70mm lens of the 5D I was able to get most of the storm structure. That's why I choosed the 5D footage for this scene, even if it's shaky and exhibits rollling shutter artifacts with lightning. But the "partition" or "decomposition" artifacts of the lightning bolt are not exactly what I'm looking for.
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Trustee

Dan,

As one who had to be familiar with the Chinese military capability while in military service, I found your short feature fascinating. I like the way you intercut spectators and the 90 year old PLA veteran with the re-enactors footage.

I could not see any objectionable rolling shutter effect, I think I see the lack of smooth motion in the running scenes due to high shutter speed. But we accept this as part of the way you had to keep up with things.

I liked it!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD