DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   screen brightness - looks like AUTO iris (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/465286-screen-brightness-looks-like-auto-iris.html)

Denis OKeefe October 7th, 2009 08:22 PM

screen brightness - looks like AUTO iris

Probably this is something obvious I'm missing - or at least I hope so. With the 1.1.0 firmware when I'm in M and Live View whenever I change exposure the LCD compensates by getting brighter or darker. It looks like I'm in auto something, but I'm not, and the LCD brightness is set to "4", not auto.

I'm using manual Nikkor lenses, when I adjust aperture or shutter speed it keeps correcting so I can't tell what the picture really looks like. I swear it didn't do this before, jyust to be sure I reloaded the firmware. It works in manual, it just doesn't look like it does.

Bill Binder October 8th, 2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe (Post 1429310)
Probably this is something obvious I'm missing - or at least I hope so. With the 1.1.0 firmware when I'm in M and Live View whenever I change exposure the LCD compensates by getting brighter or darker. It looks like I'm in auto something, but I'm not, and the LCD brightness is set to "4", not auto.

I'm using manual Nikkor lenses, when I adjust aperture or shutter speed it keeps correcting so I can't tell what the picture really looks like. I swear it didn't do this before, jyust to be sure I reloaded the firmware. It works in manual, it just doesn't look like it does.

Make sure you are in the MOVIE mode, not Stills and NOT exposure simulation. If you are in those other modes, it doesn't matter that you're set to M, it'll be full auto. Not sure that's your problem, but it almost sounds like it. Also, watch out for Auto ISO in manual mode.

Denis OKeefe October 8th, 2009 09:51 AM

Exposure simulation....aaaaaaagggghhh!
thanks Bill

Douglas Joseph October 8th, 2009 01:58 PM

I think I might have the solution to this problem for you - I experienced the same thing. Check and make your ISO is not set on auto. That should solve it for you!

EDIT - I repeated what Bill said. I was trying to steal his glory, not really. My bad, Bill.

Denis OKeefe October 8th, 2009 04:45 PM

Not that, I checked all the auto settings, it was the exposure simulation which was turned off. What I could not figure out was it looked like auto mode, but it wasn't in auto anything.
Another day, another lesson.

Bill Binder October 8th, 2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe (Post 1429654)
Not that, I checked all the auto settings, it was the exposure simulation which was turned off. What I could not figure out was it looked like auto mode, but it wasn't in auto anything.
Another day, another lesson.

Wait. What?

Denis OKeefe October 11th, 2009 09:47 AM

I was confused too - Canon support recommended exposure simulation "ON" but I wanted to be on MOVIE DISP. I'm not sure how I changed off of that but it caused me several hours of confusion.