screen brightness - looks like AUTO iris at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Major Player

screen brightness - looks like AUTO iris

Probably this is something obvious I'm missing - or at least I hope so. With the 1.1.0 firmware when I'm in M and Live View whenever I change exposure the LCD compensates by getting brighter or darker. It looks like I'm in auto something, but I'm not, and the LCD brightness is set to "4", not auto.

I'm using manual Nikkor lenses, when I adjust aperture or shutter speed it keeps correcting so I can't tell what the picture really looks like. I swear it didn't do this before, jyust to be sure I reloaded the firmware. It works in manual, it just doesn't look like it does.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe View Post
Probably this is something obvious I'm missing - or at least I hope so. With the 1.1.0 firmware when I'm in M and Live View whenever I change exposure the LCD compensates by getting brighter or darker. It looks like I'm in auto something, but I'm not, and the LCD brightness is set to "4", not auto.

I'm using manual Nikkor lenses, when I adjust aperture or shutter speed it keeps correcting so I can't tell what the picture really looks like. I swear it didn't do this before, jyust to be sure I reloaded the firmware. It works in manual, it just doesn't look like it does.
Make sure you are in the MOVIE mode, not Stills and NOT exposure simulation. If you are in those other modes, it doesn't matter that you're set to M, it'll be full auto. Not sure that's your problem, but it almost sounds like it. Also, watch out for Auto ISO in manual mode.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Exposure simulation....aaaaaaagggghhh!
thanks Bill
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Major Player

I think I might have the solution to this problem for you - I experienced the same thing. Check and make your ISO is not set on auto. That should solve it for you!

EDIT - I repeated what Bill said. I was trying to steal his glory, not really. My bad, Bill.
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Not that, I checked all the auto settings, it was the exposure simulation which was turned off. What I could not figure out was it looked like auto mode, but it wasn't in auto anything.
Another day, another lesson.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe View Post
Not that, I checked all the auto settings, it was the exposure simulation which was turned off. What I could not figure out was it looked like auto mode, but it wasn't in auto anything.
Another day, another lesson.
Wait. What?
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Major Player

I was confused too - Canon support recommended exposure simulation "ON" but I wanted to be on MOVIE DISP. I'm not sure how I changed off of that but it caused me several hours of confusion.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD