Canon announces free 24p / 25p update for EOS 5D Mk. II - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old December 11th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
I'll buy most of that, makes sense to me.

The 5% was just a guess, but I'm not sure it's being interpreted the way I meant. I was just saying that it's my personal belief that there are orders of magnitude more people buying the 5D2 primarily for photography as opposed to buying it primarily for videography. That's not to say the new segment isn't wildly important, but just saying make no mistake, it's a stills camera first and foremost, and I personally believe that's why the overwhelming majority of people buy one.
There's another aspect: I'm a professional still photographer (concerts mainly), and I have two 5D's. I just sold one of these and got me a 5D mk II, just because I can use it for my hobby (making videoclips) and because Canon promises a firmware update to 25p. If the MkII wouldn't have done high quality video, I would have stuck with my 'old' 5D's much longer, because for the job they're still perfect. So in this case, the video-aspect generated extra - or at least sooner- sales for Canon.
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #107
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
They do if you count the fact they make the most high end glass for 2/3 eng cams.
Canon does not have high end video cam line today, or they have outdated stuff. They have glasses, you are right.
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #108
Major Player

But Beta isn't dead yet! LOLOLOLOLocal Neeewwwsss...
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #109
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Well, to me your argument is like comparing apples to pumpkins -- I'm one of those who bought the 5DMKII for video only, but yet, I've shot more stills with it than videos, (unless you count my videos as 30 individual stills per second ;^)
Sure, and I'm not suggesting this is a precise way of measuring precise usage - I don't think there is a way. And these numbers are naturally only a tiny fraction of total usage. I shot over 35 hours of video on my 5D this year, and I've only got about 30 minutes of it on Vimeo - and I'm probably into 3-4000 stills with none on flickr.

But consider the huge disparity in in total numbers - .0003x as many videos as stills. Flickr has an average of 2000 users uploading photos from the 5DmkII every day. Vimeo probably has 500 total 5DmkII users (I'm just assuming an average of 3-5 clips per user). I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that it's at least a 10:1 ratio of photo to video users.
Old December 12th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #110
Regular Crew

What your not taking into account it the "easy" factor. I can shoot a pic and have it on flickr in about 5 minutes, and it could be a decent photo. Its WAY more work to shoot video, import it, convert it, edit it and then render it and upload it to vimeo than it is a picture. Thats why the numbers are so misleading.
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #111
Major Player

Actually I am taking that into account. I would absolutely expect more photos than videos because of the ease of uploading them - that's why I say I think 10:1 is reasonable, despite the fact that the actual numbers are significantly higher.

And I'm not saying that video sales are an insignificant portion of the overall camera sales - even if it represents a 2-3% increase in sales for the camera it's important to Canon, especially if you consider that much of that 2-3% is probably also buying lenses from Canon for the first time. I just think it's really easy to spend a lot of time hanging around here and assuming that the rest of the world feels the same way about this camera as everyone here - which I don't think is the case.
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #112
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
And I'm not saying that video sales are an insignificant portion of the overall camera sales - even if it represents a 2-3% increase in sales
I suspect that it must be quite a bit more than 2-3% -- I got three friends of mine who are all still photographers (one is a full time professional) that bought the MKII after I got mine -- and what was their reason? You guessed it -- its HD DOF video capability.

-- peer
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #113
Major Player

I know I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for its video capability. I also have a friend who was a nikon photographer as a hobby but video is his profession and switched over to canon for the mkII video functions and also bought lenses for video, and is going to buy flashes for his hobby, so video production really helped the sale not only of the camera, but its accessories.
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #114
Regular Crew

Any news at all on the Canon firmware update allowing optional frame rates for video ???
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #115
Inner Circle

I was at CES Thursday and Friday. Not a peep about the new firmware delivery dates or features.
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #116
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I was at CES Thursday and Friday. Not a peep about the new firmware delivery dates or features.
I'm curious -- were there any other new 5DII related stuff of interest..?

-- peer
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #117
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Ugh.

Man, it's going to be a happy day when they finally come through, but the wait is getting kind of excruciating.
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #118
Inner Circle

There's the new 70-200L II. It's said to be a bit heavier than the current model, because of an additional element. It has the new hybrid IS, including modes 1 and 2 (panning).

The real motivation for the new lens is faster focusing. Sports photographers were not happy with the 1D3. The 1D4 focusing is said to be MUCH better. I think Canon was desperate to maintain their lead in sports, so they delivered improved focus response on the 70-200 to seal the deal.

We've got to wait for the firmware to ship - and NAB to arrive - before we get more information and products for pro video...
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:01 AM   #119
New Boot

"It has the new hybrid IS, including modes 1 and 2 (panning). "

You sure about that Jon? I thought it was not the hybrid system (reserved for the 100macro). I know the V2 70-200's IS has increased to include another stop, but I don't believe they included Hybrid stabilization.

Just as an fyi, the original 70-200/2.8is also has iS mode switch 1/2:)

Anything at all in the Canon area that's NOT predicated on the "Consumer market?" IE, other than the ELPHs and Power Shots, is there any DSLR activity? Are they showing off the 1d4?

J
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #120
Inner Circle

Jeremy, you're probably right. From the Canon website: " It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths." I had assumed that the "next generation Optical Image Stabilizer" was the same as the new IS in the Macro. Now that I think about it, x-y stabilization is important in a macro, but not so much in a long lens. The next gen IS is probably just faster and more precise.

One thing the CES rep mentioned is that the new lens has a 1ft shorter minimum focus distance, which is sweet (1.2m/3.94 ft. - maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x). I have the 200/2.8L and the 4.9 ft MFD can be a stretch when photographing something at your feet - and it only offers 0.16x magnification. It's nice when you can keep shooting with your long lens, rather than having to change over to a macro to get the shot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD