Canon announces free 24p / 25p update for EOS 5D Mk. II - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old October 20th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm with John Wiley on this.

First manual control, and now 24p/25p - well done Canon, and thanks! But the delay is intriguing - I'm guessing it's marketing rather than technical.
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Don't forget this will sell a lot more new 5d's too.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yes and it will sell them as of now. For many people knowing the firmware is coming will be enough for them to commit to a purchase.

Just to add to the chorus... Well done Canon. Having such a large corporation responding to customer feedback is a rare and truly great thing.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Is that mean that now with the new Firmware 5D MII is going to be a much better camera than 7D?

Does 7D has any advantage to 5D, beside the price?

Should I buy a 5D for video rather than 7D?

Cheers
Mitchell
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #20
Major Player

Very exciting news!
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrray!

I am so happy, all my life is going to change after the first half of 2010! Thaaaank youuuu Caaaanoooon!

The only advantage 7d will have over 5DII will be the 60p. But I do not really care.
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
I think this indicates that Canon is not planning to replace the 5D2 until at least 3 months after the firmware ships. (Because otherwise it would take some of the wind out of the sales of the 5D3.)
I humbly disagree. Considering it was three years between the announce of the original 5D and the M2, I wouldn't hold my breath for a Mk3 in 2010.
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #23
Regular Crew

29.97 for NTSC Please

Dont forget 29.97 for us NTSC users!
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #24
Major Player

I knew this would happen as long as there wasn't some sort of hardware limitation. There's just no way Canon was going to let all those folks who WOULD have bought a 5D2 if it had 24p (and hopefully 29.97, etc.) buy a 7D instead while losing a grand every time it happens. Just wasn't going to happen, heh... And contrary to what others may think, I think the 5D2 is going to be around for quite a while longer (years), so it makes perfect sense to keep it as competitive as they can right now.
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #25
Regular Crew

5d II ... The gift that keeps on giving!

After not seeing a firmware be released with the 7d I had started to give up hope
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Going to hold my breath until the official announcement. Call me a pessimist but I've never heard of a company leaking an update so far in advance. I worked for a software company a few years ago and one of our marketing people leaked something during an interview that we had no plans of actually releasing. It was just brought up in a company meeting as part of a wish-list of changes and this marketing guy thought that meant it was going to happen and wanted to be the one to tell the world. Well it really screwed us in production because we couldn't implement what he told the world we would release in a patch.

A Brand Manager should know better then this to talk about something before it's official press release. CEO's get off on pulling the trigger on press releases and usually would never release this sort of statement until the quarter the firmare is being release in. 5D II is not really a holiday beneficiary for sales this season I would suspect since the 7D is in the high-end price-point for expensive electronic gifts. I bet Chris Macleod is being scolded from HQ.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #27
Major Player

Canon UK Press release

Rob Galbraith DPI: Upcoming firmware for 5D Mark II will include 24fps, 25fps video capture options
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #28
Regular Crew

29.97 please!
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Here it is: http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

Think you can get it even cheaper at VideoGuy.com
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #30
Wrangler

Wow... didn't expect that!
But it makes good business sense, saves a lot of 5D2 sales that would have otherwise been downgraded to 7D sales. Also makes sense that they announce it as early as possible, to save the sales that they are losing day to day. Hopefully it'll come soon, I cant see it being that time intensive for Canon techs to pull off.

In the meantime, let's start nagging Canon for 120p in the 1Ds mkIV :)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD