Canon announces free 24p / 25p update for EOS 5D Mk. II - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old January 27th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #136
Wrangler

Just proves again that the standard answer to that standard question is all anyone will get until it is actually released or an additional formal press release is issued. Standard business practice.
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #137
Major Player

Meanwhile, I guarantee you they are losing (lots) of potential 5D2 sales to 7Ds. At some point, you'd think they'd step in and stop that bleeding -- I personally know of several of these situations, and those folks are now perfectly happy with their choices, they won't be switching once the firmware comes out, but they would have bought a 5D2 if it had 24p/60p.

I'm happy they announced, so at least we know it's coming, but the longer the wait, the more frustrated many of us get.
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #138
Major Player

Add me to the list

If for nothing else than 29.97.... Less to transcode in compressor and less to deal with with audio syncing issues.

I would like to play with 24p as well. I have heard and read that is should be soon.

Please let it rip Canon!!!
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #139
Regular Crew

You're right Bill......Canon what's up? Why put off until tommorrow what you can do today.....come on baby...release release!
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #140
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
Meanwhile, I guarantee you they are losing (lots) of potential 5D2 sales to 7Ds.
Eh? Canon aren't losing anything. Many people will run with both the 7D and the 5D. It makes perfect sense to delay.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #141
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Eh? Canon aren't losing anything. Many people will run with both the 7D and the 5D. It makes perfect sense to delay.
I PERSONALLY know of two specific instances of people who got a 7D instead of a 5D2 because of the framerate issue, and those two people aren't looking back and aren't going to switch when the framerate firmware hits. That right there PROVES without ANY doubt that they are losing at least "something." Whether it's a big deal or not can be debated, and the folks that have both in all likelihood have both because they need two cameras anyway. Just saying... I personally know of two instances of $1,000 they could have had that they now don't.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #142
Major Player

Quote:
I PERSONALLY know of two specific instances of people who got a 7D instead of a 5D2 because of the framerate issue, and those two people aren't looking back and aren't going to switch when the framerate firmware hits. That right there PROVES without ANY doubt that they are losing at least "something."
I wouldn't think that's an issue for Canon as long as also the 7D is a Canon camera. Am I missing something?

-- peer

Last edited by Peer Landa; January 28th, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #143
Inner Circle

Normally, I'm pretty patient. I put up with no manual control and was thrilled when the 1.1.0 was announced and released. I was confident that 24p would come next. I was content when the firmware announcement arrived.

But as February approaches, I have to admit that I'm feeling more and more impatient. I'm not caring about Canon sales. I'd just like 24p (and 60p) already - before the 5D2 becomes yesterday's news.
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #144
Inner Circle

The other day I watched one of my favorite movies again.... The Right Stuff. I am reminded of a line when Alan Sheperd had waited hours inside the capsule for countdown holds, and a eventually had to urinate in his space suit. Then more holds, and finally, he is quoted as saying something like, "Okay, enough of this crap, lets light this candle". They pushed the button, and off he went.

Its time Canon, lets light this candle !
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #145
Major Player

I wouldn't suprise me if once they release the 5Dll 24p update then they announce a new cam right after that....thus making the 5Dll yesterday's news.
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #146
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
I wouldn't think that's an issue for Canon as long as also the 7D is a Canon camera. Am I missing something?

-- peer
Yeah, they're missing $1,000 every time it happens.

I'm actually convinced this line of thinking on the lens front is what got us the first firmware fix with manual control (losing sales to other lens manufacturers), and I'll bet this line of thinking has something to do with getting the second update. You start adding up $1K per and I bet it could start becoming a non-trivial number at some point. If you can stop that hemorrhaging with a simple firmware update, you do it, it's a no-brainer.
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #147
Wrangler

Quote:
Yeah, they're missing $1,000 every time it happens.
They're probably still selling both cameras about as fast as they can make them, camera body sales undoubtedly drive far larger revenues in future lens sales than than the cost of the body, and the profit margins are probably roughly proportional to the prices. So I doubt that Canon budgeting is shaking in their shoes about this thread.

STILL, they are offering significant free firmware upgrades that were never promised at original release. No doubt the firmware will be released as soon as Canon is confident it is ready.

I'm looking forward to the firmware update, too. But I bought the 5DmII because I wanted a full frame DSLR, and am pleased to have the additional ability to shoot decent HD video clips with it. If I was buying today, I'd still buy a 5DmII. I'm in the original target demographic which remains the vast majority of the 5DmII's market. The vocal minority who think of it as a video camera first and a still camera second or not at all have had Canon's attention and are being accommodated.

If the lot of you ranting about the wait look back at this thread in a year, you'll be embarrassed at yourselves.
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #148
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
So I doubt that Canon budgeting is shaking in their shoes about this thread.
Also, you've got to admit that Canon is the only game in town in this market. The super-thin DOF options are the 5Dii and Panavision, and let's be honest, we don't have the budget to negotiate with Panavision.

If tomorrow, the XL-H1 develops some fatal flaw - I'm sure the Sony EX-1 or EX-3 will start selling like hotcakes, and Canon will rush to fix the error. But the 5D is the only game in town. Not to say we should be greatful for any bone Canon throws us, but we shouldn't be surprised when adding more features for free isn't at the top of their list.
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #149
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
They're probably still selling both cameras about as fast as they can make them, camera body sales undoubtedly drive far larger revenues in future lens sales than than the cost of the body, and the profit margins are probably roughly proportional to the prices. So I doubt that Canon budgeting is shaking in their shoes about this thread.

STILL, they are offering significant free firmware upgrades that were never promised at original release. No doubt the firmware will be released as soon as Canon is confident it is ready.

I'm looking forward to the firmware update, too. But I bought the 5DmII because I wanted a full frame DSLR, and am pleased to have the additional ability to shoot decent HD video clips with it. If I was buying today, I'd still buy a 5DmII. I'm in the original target demographic which remains the vast majority of the 5DmII's market. The vocal minority who think of it as a video camera first and a still camera second or not at all have had Canon's attention and are being accommodated.

If the lot of you ranting about the wait look back at this thread in a year, you'll be embarrassed at yourselves.

I personally won't be embarrassed about anything. I bought the 5D2 for FF Stills, and I don't regret it one bit. It is an awesome camera. That has nothing to do with it. And I'm waiting just like everyone else, just voicing a little frustration, which is perfectly acceptable. And by the way, I bet you sell that much more more expensive L-glass to FF camera owners, so just another reason to stop the bleeding. And if you don't think the Canon bean counters watch that kind of thing, I think you're kidding yourself. There's a long-term strategy in here, I'm sure some of it has to do with the M-IV, and bandwidth of engineers, etc., but how these cams fit across the product spectrum in terms of positioning is an important thing to them no doubt. And, the fact is, you can order a 5D2 right now and get it shipped, so inventories cant be that tight are they?
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #150
Major Player

One more thing actually, why do you think they announced it at all? Why do you think they are even going to put out the firmware? I mean why bother? They could have left it as is at this point, after the manual update?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD