Canon announces free 24p / 25p update for EOS 5D Mk. II - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM   #166
Inner Circle

I'll up you one more. If Canon upgraded firmware tomorrow so that it did not do line skipping so we could avoid the ravages of aliasing and moire, along with those upgrades, I would pay another $ 2000.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:14 AM   #167
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
I'm with you on that one, but the real question is whether it'll have 60p or not?
According to an article on another forum it, unfortunately, will not.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM   #168
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
...the real question is whether it'll have 60p or not?
Here's what it boils down to... I'm pretty sure that the 60p capability is directly tied to the dual Digic processors in the 7D and the 1D Mk. IV, and since the 5D Mk. II has only a single Digic processor, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get the 60p frame rates.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM   #169
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
According to an article on another forum it, unfortunately, will not.
Wasn't that nothing but speculation really? I didn't get any sense they knew anything.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:59 AM   #170
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Here's what it boils down to... I'm pretty sure that the 60p capability is directly tied to the dual Digic processors in the 7D and the 1D Mk. IV, and since the 5D Mk. II has only a single Digic processor, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get the 60p frame rates.
I've heard this repeated many times, and I'm inclined to believe it actually, but...

Just curious where the "pretty sure... tied to dual... processors" part is coming from?

What makes you think so?

I've never really heard anyone articulate anything on that beyond speculation. Is there more to it than that?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM   #171
Major Player

I do not have magic lantern... but I'm strongly considering it. I have some reservation.

So, say I have magic lantern on my 5d, then the 24p firmware update comes out... what happens? Would I still be able to install the 24p firmware update, even though I have magic lantern?

If anybody can help me out here, that'd be sweeeet.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:44 PM   #172
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph View Post
I do not have magic lantern... but I'm strongly considering it. I have some reservation.

So, say I have magic lantern on my 5d, then the 24p firmware update comes out... what happens? Would I still be able to install the 24p firmware update, even though I have magic lantern?

If anybody can help me out here, that'd be sweeeet.
Magic Lantern is run in-memory when the camera is turned on. So, using ML does not affect your ability to upgrade once the new firmware comes out.

However, if you do upgrade to the latest firmware, it's likely that you will no longer be able to use Magic Lantern (at least for a while). I'm pretty sure they would have to modify Magic Lantern to work with a newer firmware.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:05 PM   #173
Inner Circle

That is true. The current version of Magic Lantern only supports firmware version 1.1.0. (ML 1.16) There is work being done on ML 1.17 which will boot directly of the chip without need to go through a manual upgrade, but I am not sure anything will hit before Canons new firmware/
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:51 PM   #174
Inner Circle

Yes, ML only works on 1.1.0 for now, but the day that 24p comes out, I'd bet that Tramm won't sleep until he's got it ported. I recently saw that Tramm had been busy with work, but his head is now back into the firmware. Hopefully, Canon will release 24p while Tramm is on a roll.

I think the information we have about 60p and two Digics is just conjecture. 720p60 and 1080p30 have the same datarate, so the encoder is not a likely bottleneck. The question in my mind is whether the 5D2 sensor can skip even more line/pixels than it does for 1080 in order to produce 720.

Sure, skipping more pixels for 720p is killer for the faster rate, but going the other way would be killer too. I'd love for Tramm to be able to window the sensor and not do any pixel skipping. That would give us a somewhat soft image with little or no aliasing. It would also turn my 200mm f/2.8 lens into a 600mm equivalent. It would pass just as much light as it does today, but with deeper focus than a 600/2.8 on full frame, due to the crop sensor.

I wouldn't always want the extreme crop, but it would have its applications.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #175
Regular Crew

I'm still hoping for the same frame rates as the 7D.

It makes sense and I'm keeping the fingers crossed based on 2 conversations with Canon about 2-3 weeks ago. I with tech support (who says it's his understanding that they will match) and the other with a person who works in sales and marketing for DSLR's at Canons head quarters in the U.S. He was referred to me by someone in Canon that I know. He also said he is expecting the 7D and 5D to have the same frame rates. Of course, both gave me the standard, we won't know for sure till it comes out.

The Panasonic GH1 doesn't have any dual processors and they have the same frame rates so I'm hoping the dual processors aren't a deal breaker or necessity.

I was hoping we'd something by now. Sure would like to know what's holding up the show.
It ould have been easier if they would have done it right the first time.
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #176
Trustee

It makes sense that Canon will try to match the frame rates offered by the 7D. Hopefully it is true.
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #177
Major Player

Jim Froom

A Canon guy told me we'd see it at the end of January at a trade show before Xmas, so i'm not sure how reliable these folks are. I'm starting a major project in March and will be reluctantly swapping mine for a 7d if it hasn't turned up by then.

Fingers Crossed!
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #178
Regular Crew

Are we going to have 120p too?
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #179
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Ionescu View Post
Are we going to have 120p too?
Why settle for 120p when 2000p is cooler yet:
YouTube - Amazing Billiards in Super Slow Motion

-- peer
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #180
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Why settle for 120p when 2000p is cooler yet:
YouTube - Amazing Billiards in Super Slow Motion

-- peer
We can ask even higher: 1,400,000 FPS

as in

Phantom v710

which is illustrated here:
The Phantom High Speed Movie Gallery

Hope those links do not violate any rule of the site.

God bless us all!
Christian

Last edited by Christian Ionescu; February 5th, 2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Quote Added
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD