Wheres the 5D (intercutting with Sony950 and film)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Wheres the 5D (intercutting with Sony950 and film)?

From the DoP of "Terminator Salvation" an interesting quiz:

Can you spot the difference between the three cameras in a clip he shot for the navy seals with all three of them?

http://hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2009/...wheres-the-5d/

I personally manage to spot a few instances mostly based on the DoF factor than anything else.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #2
New Boot

Hi,

The link isn't working, looking forward to watching it!
George Chinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Major Player

I think there must be traffic overload because I managed to log about an hour ago but I can't right now either.

You can also try the front page of the site: http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/

The HD clips are on this address:
http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/videos/mio/mio_blog.mov

There is a forwarding link where you can download an HD version of the clip. I couldn't open the 1080p zip file on my Mac so I downloaded the 720p version. The job is very professionally done and looks very expensive. He says in the comments that he used many 5DmIIs, a Sony 950 without mentioning the recorder and an ARRI 235. I can't really tell the difference between shots, of course being color corrected doesn't help much, but the important point is that someone risked shooting a high budget assignment with the 5DmII as his main camera.
According to DP, for the shooting, he used 13 5DmII in different configurations in order to achieve as many set ups as possible. Since they are very cheap to rent is a brilliant idea, provided of course that you can find a house to rent you all the necessary gear for each configuration.

In the site there are many useful information about 5DmII and anyone who has the camera should take a good look at them.

The site is still down (17.20 GMT) so probably the whole 5D community is tuning in with anticipation.

Last edited by Emmanuel Plakiotis; October 28th, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Major Player

You can see a segment of Shane's work in youtube.

YouTube - Where's the Canon 5D?
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

From the produktion logic the 5D II will be perfekt for the action szene with little space to shoot - lifeboot szene and many of the szene when naviseals assult the ship.

Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Major Player

They asked me to remove the video from youtube and I complied. Apparently they asked Shane the same, so this is the real reason of the server black out and not overtrafficking.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD