Pocket Dolly and magic lantern with 5DMKII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 30th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pocket Dolly and magic lantern with 5DMKII

Kessler released their pocket dolly... here's a great demo using the dolly and the
magic lantern enhancement software. Not my footage, but it does look well done....

Last edited by Ray Bell; October 30th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Excellent work!

Very provocative images, nice camera moves, good composition, spot-on editing - the whole package is very nice.

How did you feel about the "Pocket Dolly?" Was it easy to use? The crank - even on their demo video(s) looks flimsy, but it's a great idea. Was setup much more difficult? I'd guess you drew a bit more attention to yourself with that rig.
Also, did you find that your dolly shots ("dolly" means in and out, right? "trucking" shots are left and right?)(or is it the other way around?) - did you find that when pushing the camera toward the subject you had to rack focus? or is one meter short enough that with a wide angle lens, you were OK?

Again, nicely done on the video.
Good Show!
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Major Player

No offense to Ray Bell, but he didn't do the video. If you follow the link to the Vimeo page, you will see that it was done by a couple of guys in the Middle East. They did a great job. The same video is on the Kessler website as a demo of their equipment.

I don't think that Ray meant people to think that he did the video clip, just that it is a great example of the work that can be done with the 5D and the Pocket Dolly.

Very nice work.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Daniel, I must remind myself, over and over again to add in the proper credits due...

Actually, this was the first time that I posted one of the links to Vimeo where the video
footage showed in the post...

I was thinking that it would just show a link and take you to vimeo... as that is where the real credits are listed...

some great work, I'd really like to get one of the pocket dollys.

When you see vimeo posts like these just click on the word Vimeo, bottom right side of the video. This will take you to the vimeo site... most of the time you can see the list of equipment, music they used and other tidbits of info on how they made the shots... and of
course who should get the credit for their work...

You can also see the footage full frame if you click the four arrows just to the left of the word
vimeo...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:38 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post
("dolly" means in and out, right? "trucking" shots are left and right?)(or is it the other way around?)
"Dolly" and "truck" aren't directional.

Seems to me like I use "truck" in the studio, and "dolly" when I am on a physical dolly, while on location. Also, "truck" has more of a "get the camera over there" connotation, while "dolly" is more of a smooth, while-recording move.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD