Is there any decent way to down-covert 5D2 footage to 16 x 9 SD for CS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Is there any decent way to down-covert 5D2 footage to 16 x 9 SD for CS4

Hi All

I really need a way to down convert 5D2 footage to 16x9 SD for editing on a couple of slower machines I have here.

I have attempted doing it with Adobe Media Encoder but with the various options I have tried the results end up looking crap and unusable i.e. Like stepping in diagonal details which are emphasized with movements.

Is there any software or options that allow you to down convert cleanly. (like how sony HDV cameras can output SD). I downloaded a trial of cineform neoscene but that doesent appear to have any down conversion options.

Any advice would be great appreciated.

Cheers

Craig.
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Try this
Precomposed Blog - HD to SD DVD - Best Methods
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, but you'll have to do some searching on the net. First, get the latest version of virtualdub. Then, search for the mpeg4 plugin so you can import the clips. Rename all your footage to a .mp4 extension (something like extension changer might help). Last, you'll need a utility to make the batch job for virtualdub. Be sure to select lanczos as the scaling method in the resize filter's dialog.
Luis de la Cerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #4
New Boot

cheers guys, I will give those options a try,
The example in the blog is exactly the problem I am experiencing,
The blogs comments presented another option I may try also. I am using RT.X2 with premiere. So I may be able to import the footage into a SD sequence and take adobe out of the HD-SD process, leaving the conversion up to Matrox.
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm starting to wonder, although this would be the most space/time consuming method, if turning your footage in to an image sequence and then cropping to the correct dimensions in Photoshop and recompiling the image sequence back in to a video file would be the best way to do this? My head bursts at the idea of this for big projects, but really it's computer time and not personal time involved since it's a simple action you can apply to a folder of images. But what am I missing here? This sounds too simple that you would expect this to be the standard way in something like Premiere Pro (just changing the dimensions and compiling the frame).
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You might want to try Cineforms second tier product, I think it is called Neo HD. NeoScene does not do conversions, but the next level up does I think. I actually convert all my 5D footage and edit in Cineform intermediate because it is easier on the equipment. You might find on the older machines that you can edit the HD material from NeoScene in high definition.

Take a look at Cineform.com, they have two week full trials available to you.
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have used TMPEGEnc with fantastic results. It costs money but not a lot and for basic editing and conversion its the best, IMO.

TMPEGEnc can output series of frames as lossy jpeg or lossless bmp. It also can assemble series of pictures into a video. I have used this feature to gain access to some Photoshop and/or Gimp image processing that is difficult to find for video. It is an excellent work flow for some types of processing.

I really enjoy the large number of options TMPEGEnc gives you even though I bought it for it's superior MPEG-2 encoding capabilities.

TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress Product Information
Rick Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

TMPEGEnc is fantastic - it has been tested many times as the best of the MPEG2 compressors. (I can post links to comparos between various compressors).

Infact, many believe TMPEGEnc does better mpeg2 than Cinema Craft Encoder !!!

TMPEGEnc is just that good. I have been using it for several years now. The DVD I made last night had the final mpeg2 conversion done in TMPEGEnc.
Peter Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lovenguth View Post
I'm starting to wonder, although this would be the most space/time consuming method, if turning your footage in to an image sequence and then cropping to the correct dimensions in Photoshop and recompiling the image sequence back in to a video file would be the best way to do this? My head bursts at the idea of this for big projects, but really it's computer time and not personal time involved since it's a simple action you can apply to a folder of images. But what am I missing here? This sounds too simple that you would expect this to be the standard way in something like Premiere Pro (just changing the dimensions and compiling the frame).
Really this would be a great way to do it results wise, however based just on my experience batch processing stills for time lapses, watermarks etc, For a wedding video it would probably take a week to convert.
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #10
New Boot

cool I will have to check out NeoHD also. I thought I looked at some of their products but didn't see anything specifically saying downconversion. Might have missed that.

Will also check out TMPGEnc. Does it output AVI though?
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #11
New Boot

oh yeah also, Looks like the "Export from Matrox SD sequence" was a fail also. The quality looked worse than AME some reason. The computer becomes very unstable while doing it too. Crashed the project twice.
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hill View Post
TMPEGEnc can output series of frames as lossy jpeg or lossless bmp. It also can assemble series of pictures into a video. I have used this feature to gain access to some Photoshop and/or Gimp image processing that is difficult to find for video. It is an excellent work flow for some types of processing.
TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress Product Information
Interesting tip Rick.
I've got TMPG and am going to experiment with this.
Thanks.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm more interested with Luis de la Cerda workflow using virtualdub. It seems faster this way. We can batch process numbered of files. Instead of set them one file at a time in TMPGEnc.

So, Luis can you tell us more about your workflow? I tried to feed 5D file straight to virtualdub, vdub doesn't understand it. I even tried renamed the extension from mov to mp4. Doesn't work. So we need MPEG4 plugin you said? What MPEG4 plugin do you use along with this? (isn't that 5D files are H.264 not MPEG4?)
Desmond Sukotjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Inner Circle

h.264 is the same as MPEG-4, Part 10.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM   #15
Regular Crew

wouldnt it be much much easier just to make a new sequence fitted to the SD delivery format, and let the NLE downscale the footage in the project timeline while editing? I do that often, with no noticable quality loss (exept the expected SD resolution)
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD