DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Is there any decent way to down-covert 5D2 footage to 16 x 9 SD for CS4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/467145-there-any-decent-way-down-covert-5d2-footage-16-x-9-sd-cs4.html)

Craig Turner November 4th, 2009 09:49 PM

Is there any decent way to down-covert 5D2 footage to 16 x 9 SD for CS4

Hi All

I really need a way to down convert 5D2 footage to 16x9 SD for editing on a couple of slower machines I have here.

I have attempted doing it with Adobe Media Encoder but with the various options I have tried the results end up looking crap and unusable i.e. Like stepping in diagonal details which are emphasized with movements.

Is there any software or options that allow you to down convert cleanly. (like how sony HDV cameras can output SD). I downloaded a trial of cineform neoscene but that doesent appear to have any down conversion options.

Any advice would be great appreciated.

Cheers

Craig.

Khoi Pham November 4th, 2009 10:13 PM

Try this
Precomposed Blog - HD to SD DVD - Best Methods

Luis de la Cerda November 5th, 2009 01:31 AM

Yes, but you'll have to do some searching on the net. First, get the latest version of virtualdub. Then, search for the mpeg4 plugin so you can import the clips. Rename all your footage to a .mp4 extension (something like extension changer might help). Last, you'll need a utility to make the batch job for virtualdub. Be sure to select lanczos as the scaling method in the resize filter's dialog.

Craig Turner November 8th, 2009 08:18 PM

cheers guys, I will give those options a try,
The example in the blog is exactly the problem I am experiencing,
The blogs comments presented another option I may try also. I am using RT.X2 with premiere. So I may be able to import the footage into a SD sequence and take adobe out of the HD-SD process, leaving the conversion up to Matrox.

Christopher Lovenguth November 9th, 2009 12:32 PM

I'm starting to wonder, although this would be the most space/time consuming method, if turning your footage in to an image sequence and then cropping to the correct dimensions in Photoshop and recompiling the image sequence back in to a video file would be the best way to do this? My head bursts at the idea of this for big projects, but really it's computer time and not personal time involved since it's a simple action you can apply to a folder of images. But what am I missing here? This sounds too simple that you would expect this to be the standard way in something like Premiere Pro (just changing the dimensions and compiling the frame).

Chris Barcellos November 9th, 2009 12:35 PM

You might want to try Cineforms second tier product, I think it is called Neo HD. NeoScene does not do conversions, but the next level up does I think. I actually convert all my 5D footage and edit in Cineform intermediate because it is easier on the equipment. You might find on the older machines that you can edit the HD material from NeoScene in high definition.

Take a look at Cineform.com, they have two week full trials available to you.

Rick Hill November 10th, 2009 12:13 AM

I have used TMPEGEnc with fantastic results. It costs money but not a lot and for basic editing and conversion its the best, IMO.

TMPEGEnc can output series of frames as lossy jpeg or lossless bmp. It also can assemble series of pictures into a video. I have used this feature to gain access to some Photoshop and/or Gimp image processing that is difficult to find for video. It is an excellent work flow for some types of processing.

I really enjoy the large number of options TMPEGEnc gives you even though I bought it for it's superior MPEG-2 encoding capabilities.

TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress Product Information

Peter Burke November 11th, 2009 01:45 AM

TMPEGEnc is fantastic - it has been tested many times as the best of the MPEG2 compressors. (I can post links to comparos between various compressors).

Infact, many believe TMPEGEnc does better mpeg2 than Cinema Craft Encoder !!!

TMPEGEnc is just that good. I have been using it for several years now. The DVD I made last night had the final mpeg2 conversion done in TMPEGEnc.

Craig Turner November 11th, 2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Lovenguth (Post 1444724)
I'm starting to wonder, although this would be the most space/time consuming method, if turning your footage in to an image sequence and then cropping to the correct dimensions in Photoshop and recompiling the image sequence back in to a video file would be the best way to do this? My head bursts at the idea of this for big projects, but really it's computer time and not personal time involved since it's a simple action you can apply to a folder of images. But what am I missing here? This sounds too simple that you would expect this to be the standard way in something like Premiere Pro (just changing the dimensions and compiling the frame).

Really this would be a great way to do it results wise, however based just on my experience batch processing stills for time lapses, watermarks etc, For a wedding video it would probably take a week to convert.

Craig Turner November 11th, 2009 10:41 PM

cool I will have to check out NeoHD also. I thought I looked at some of their products but didn't see anything specifically saying downconversion. Might have missed that.

Will also check out TMPGEnc. Does it output AVI though?

Craig Turner November 11th, 2009 10:45 PM

oh yeah also, Looks like the "Export from Matrox SD sequence" was a fail also. The quality looked worse than AME some reason. The computer becomes very unstable while doing it too. Crashed the project twice.

Richard Gooderick November 12th, 2009 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hill (Post 1445036)
TMPEGEnc can output series of frames as lossy jpeg or lossless bmp. It also can assemble series of pictures into a video. I have used this feature to gain access to some Photoshop and/or Gimp image processing that is difficult to find for video. It is an excellent work flow for some types of processing.
TMPGEnc - Products: TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress Product Information

Interesting tip Rick.
I've got TMPG and am going to experiment with this.
Thanks.

Desmond Sukotjo December 3rd, 2009 09:45 AM

I'm more interested with Luis de la Cerda workflow using virtualdub. It seems faster this way. We can batch process numbered of files. Instead of set them one file at a time in TMPGEnc.

So, Luis can you tell us more about your workflow? I tried to feed 5D file straight to virtualdub, vdub doesn't understand it. I even tried renamed the extension from mov to mp4. Doesn't work. So we need MPEG4 plugin you said? What MPEG4 plugin do you use along with this? (isn't that 5D files are H.264 not MPEG4?)

Jon Fairhurst December 3rd, 2009 12:33 PM

h.264 is the same as MPEG-4, Part 10.

Nik Skjoth December 3rd, 2009 12:49 PM

wouldnt it be much much easier just to make a new sequence fitted to the SD delivery format, and let the NLE downscale the footage in the project timeline while editing? I do that often, with no noticable quality loss (exept the expected SD resolution)