Can the 5DM2 really cut it? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Clearing the pathway isn't the same as walking the pathway. At some point you have to give up perfecting and simply start walking
That is absolutely spot on. This is a huge problem for me. Obsessing over the most ridiculous and minute detail, often means I avoid attempting it altogether. How do I stop my OCD?!
Richard Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I used to own an EX3 and am a XDCAM EX fanboy to this date. All the data and first hand experience suggest nothing is close in terms of image quality south of 10k USD. Having said that, the Canon 5d and 7d are clearly more powerful creative tools. The inconspicuous form factor, low light ability, and shallow DOF allow for possibilities you just can't get from a EX1 out of the box. That EX1 will shoot the heck out of a res chart and give a pristine image though.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
Several people have started new threads here asking about the poor resolution...
I guess I missed those threads. In looking back, I can't find anyone complaining about resolution at all.

I do see a comment here or there about aliasing, and though I've got 15 years in the business, I just can't spot it unless it is directly pointed out to me.

The DOF, however, pops in every video I see.

Thank you, Chris, for the clarification.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:54 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have owned a 5D since June. I recently bought an EX3. AS an editor at a video production facility its good to have a variety of tools to cover all the possible needs clients may have. The 5D is capable of generating beautiful imagery, but in certain studio shoot situations is a bit light on what clients expect from a video camera (timecode abilities/video and audio input and output abilities, etc).In that case the EX3 fills the bill. On the other hand, other projects really benefit from the low light, lush imagery that the 5D does so well. That's why I have both. Hammers and screwdrivers... whatever works best for the task at hand .
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #20
Major Player

I can put screws in with a hammer…
Trust me, it's easy.

:-)
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Good to know...love to see your work sometime ;-)
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
I can put screws in with a hammer…
Trust me, it's easy.
:-)
In Birmingham (UK) they call it a Brumigum screwdriver.
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #23
Major Player

I would show you my fine handy work but strangely, none of it stays up long enough to be photographed.

Odd that.

Avey

theactionhouse.com
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #24
Inner Circle

So I did some test shots here with a Chart that was printed off on my Brother Laser printer.

I shot using a superflat setting I downloaded from another shooter. I am curious what you expert readers make of the resolution chart shooting this way. I did one from a color corrected grab off of vegas (cause I didn't set camera to daylight) and one of same frame with saturation all the way down to zero. Be interested to know what you read these at.
Attached Thumbnails
Can the 5DM2 really cut it?-charttest100isosuperflat.jpg   Can the 5DM2 really cut it?-charttest100isosuperflatsatzero.jpg  

Old December 4th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #25
Trustee

I'm viewing your screen grab from a Blackberry at actual size, a bit of a joke but nevertheless, I read the vertical and horizontal resolution to be about 700 lines, not a bad performance, and a little better than I tested on mine. That's definitely HD territory, the issue for me with my 5D has always been the aliasing, not the rez.

700 lines is particularly pretty decent since it maintains it in the corners/borders.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I shot this with a Takumar Nikon mount 28-85mm lens, in Macro mode, somewhere around F5.6 to F8. I don't know if that makes a difference. But I assumed that filing the frame is what is important.
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #27
Trustee

Actually looks better than that now I can see it on a proper monitor, maybe closer to 800 lines in both vertical and horizontal. Everybody that does a test is going to come up with a different number, it's really only relevant when you can compare what you get with other cams under the exact same conditions.

When I tested my 5DMkII with a 50mm prime, I remember around 650 lines horizontal and 750 vertical, but in comparison, it lagged a bit behind the HV10, XH-A1 and a distant stretch from the EX1 under the same conditions. Regardless, the numbers are solidly Hi-Def, no question, and no surprise we see such great videos from the 5DMkII.

(It also comes with a stellar still picture cam at no extra charge!)
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Thanks Tom, appreciate the analysis.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD