DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Follow Focus for 5D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/469115-follow-focus-5d.html)

Reggie Moser December 8th, 2009 07:58 AM

Follow Focus for 5D

I have the indiefocus20 for my 5D and I'm looking to change the gear for more of a pro one (if you will).......somewhat thicker....it appears that the gear that comes with the unit is a little flimsy.......can someoone point me in the right direction where I can consider purchasing a new gear to swap mine out? thanks

Viktor Carlquist December 8th, 2009 02:25 PM

Maybe not "pro" but Ive benn thinking about ordering one of these: D|Focus - The Affordable Follow Focus System

Cody Dulock December 8th, 2009 04:22 PM

The redrock gears are nice and can easily be swapped to other lenses if needed.

Reggie Moser December 8th, 2009 08:51 PM

Thanks guys........

Zsolt Gordos December 9th, 2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viktor Carlquist (Post 1457819)
Maybe not "pro" but Ive benn thinking about ordering one of these: D|Focus - The Affordable Follow Focus System

Viktor, if you are thinking, think twice. I own that thingy and it is super flimsy. The gear is not adjustable, you cant use it with some lenses for being too tight and with others for being lose.
The mounting is just not designed to fit between your lens and a rod system, or you have to invest in a new camera mount which elevates the cam higher. Moving parts are made of plastic with a very cheap feel and they are tiny, so even by looking at them you dont feel safe about using them.

The whole thing looks like a basement garage product, which I think it is. The main marketing message is something like "proudly made in USA". Well, then I have seen a number of quality Chinese products. You dont pay much but you will get what you paid for. I am not saying the disgustingly overpriced "branded" systems have justified prices, those are way too high. It would be great to see solid quality between these two leagues.

G. Lee Gordon April 2nd, 2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos (Post 1458088)
Viktor, if you are thinking, think twice.

What Follow Focus would you recommend.

Peer Landa April 5th, 2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie Moser (Post 1457671)
I have the indiefocus20 for my 5D and I'm looking to change the gear for more of a pro one (if you will).......somewhat thicker....it appears that the gear that comes with the unit is a little flimsy.......can someoone point me in the right direction where I can consider purchasing a new gear to swap mine out? thanks

While back, when I was in the same situation, I spent ample time debating what follow focus to get -- I ended up with a fairly inexpensive one from CineCity which I'm (still) quite happy with:

-- peer

Cody Dulock April 6th, 2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Dulock (Post 1457871)
The redrock gears are nice and can easily be swapped to other lenses if needed.

I also use the redrock v2 follow focus. The design is worth the money if you *use* your gear. updated adjusting arm, 3d marking disk, speed port, quick release rod clamp (a must have), and flippable gear box. I think everything is metal as well. I have the redrock v1 as well, but the v2 trumps it!

Matthew Roddy April 6th, 2010 12:05 PM

I too have the RR FF v1 and love it.
A bit heavy, but excellent gear.
Some day I'll be able to justify buying the v2... but by then, there will likely be a v3 or 4.

Robert Turchick April 6th, 2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1510354)
While back, when I was in the same situation, I spent ample time debating what follow focus to get -- I ended up with a fairly inexpensive one from CineCity which I'm (still) quite happy with:

-- peer

Loving my CineCity too. Comes with EVERYTHING! And it's reversible. Works like it should and doesn't cost a ton.

Mitchell Yazdani April 7th, 2010 12:46 AM

I found CineCity products extremely cheap low end quality imitation, they look good initially but they use recycled material which breaks down easily and even their shoulder support rubber handle is breaking apart after 4 months, I pick it up to work and my hand went black like I am holding a piece of charcoal.
Pay a bit more and buy decent stuff.

Wayne Avanson April 7th, 2010 07:04 AM

I agree and disagree with the CineCity opinions mentioned above. Their shoulder support is rubbish (well, the one I got was) and so was the glidecam thing but the follow focus is OK. Not brilliant, there's a couple of mm play in it but it's smooth enough.

I wish it pushed into the focus by turning anticlockwise when on the left of the camera rather than pulling out. That way it would match the turning of the focus ring on the lens barrel.

Peer Landa April 7th, 2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 1510995)
the follow focus is OK. Not brilliant, there's a couple of mm play in it but it's smooth enough.

I agree -- and that little extra play is well worth the money saved.

-- peer

Soeren Mueller April 7th, 2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Yazdani (Post 1510901)
I found CineCity products extremely cheap low end quality imitation, they look good initially but they use recycled material which breaks down easily and even their shoulder support rubber handle is breaking apart after 4 months, I pick it up to work and my hand went black like I am holding a piece of charcoal.
Pay a bit more and buy decent stuff.

My 2 cents... I agree with Peer mostly. I ordered a bunch of their, well, sort of "first batch" stuff over a year ago... some stuff was really cheap and I especially hated the rubber handles that left hands black etc. .. I sold most of the stuff again that I didn't like though ;)

A few weeks ago I gave them a second chance and got some of their newer DSLR support stuff.. and to my surprise most of it was of much better quality.

And I think the FF is really ok for most cases.. I mean I think it's rediculous to pay as much as the camera itself costs or even more just for something like that - of course I always use Chrosziel or other professional gear on a shoot with a decent budget.

I'm sorry to say that but - at least from my experience - for example the Redrock stuff isn't just that much better to justify the higher price!