Mixing formats - seems to work so am I missing something? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing formats - seems to work so am I missing something?

I recorded (all running at once) 5 mins of 5d at 1080 30fps, 7d at 1080 25fps, mp3 on a yamaha dictaphone type recorder at whatever, and Ex1 at 720 25p. Dropped them all into Edius on a 720 25p timeline and lined up the claps I made at the start, checked the claps I made at the end et voila - all in time perfectly, both uinconverted .mov and after the converted to Canopus HQ as it runs more easily on the timeline.

From what I had read I was expecting all kinds of nightmares. Admittedly I have not checked for video movement oddness and artefacts, the cameras were all resting on my workbench.

It looks like Edius just converts them to the same fps. Is that what you would expect? What am I missing here? And what will the 5d firmware do that Edius is not doing natively?

Stuart
Stuart Boreham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you tried using a 1080 time line with similar results? Also, which version of Edius are you using?
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's likely that the 30p content will be dropping every sixth frame - or blending frames - to create 25p.
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have'nt tried it on 1080p but there I se no reason why it woudl not work. Will have a go later.

It Edius is dropping frames is that any different/worse to what cineform would do?

S
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, works fine on a 1080 30p timeline as well :-)
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Major Player

No one said it wouldn't work, it's just that like Jon said, you're 30p to 25p footage will be less than desireable (much worse than using 25p out of the box) and on longer clips, you're liable to run into audio sync drift for two reasons: (1) the 29.97 vs. 30.00 fps thing, and (2) you're using different word clocks on all of the devices and the devices aren't jammed and don't have timecode -- hopefully #1 will go away after the new firmware, but #2 will be staying with us for a long time to come.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Boreham View Post
From what I had read I was expecting all kinds of nightmares.
You're using Edius--of course it will work as advertised. Different frame rates, aspect ratios, resolutions, whatever you through at it, its supposed to play it back. Buffer might drop at change points but otherwise...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD