Genus vs vocas MB250 matte box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 9th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Genus vs vocas MB250 matte box

I like how compact and light is the genus, and like the eyebrows and the overall construction of the vocas. What do you think guys?
help me to choose
The Vocas cost a little more but can buy it in my contry. Genus with shipping cost are almost the same price as vocas.

Genus Matte Box
VOCAS SYSTEMS BV
Carlos Padilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Sorry, not an answer but....

How do you plan to "seal" the matte box to the various lenses on your camera? You don't want a big light gap between the hole in the matte box and your lens.

I'm looking at the Zacuto Universal Donut, but there maybe be even better solutions.
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Both come with some donuts or if you want, Genus make another universal donut. Cheap thant the zacuto one
Genus Universal Donut Nun's Knickers
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Great find! Thanks!
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm a Genus fan through and through now so you may want to find someone with a more impartial view, however what I can say is that I love the Genus Mattebox mainly because it will allow me to get to 17mm with no vignette in movie mode. If you plan to use wide angles I would check what the Vocas can do.

There is a guy here on a shoot with me who is using the Vocas so maybe ping me a private message and I can send his email to you, he's played with both so may give you both sides.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
I love the Genus Mattebox mainly because it will allow me to get to 17mm with no vignette in movie mode. If you plan to use wide angles I would check what the Vocas can do.
I got a Century Mattebox -- which is very nice -- but initially I had some serious vignetting when getting down to 17mm, so I trimmed it with a Dremel tool (opened it up enough for my 17-35mm lens). This silly video shows the mattbox with a mounted 70-200mm:

-- peer
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I had a Redrock Mb and was too heavy for my needs. I think the century is the same as vocas, I like the eye-brows but the Genus seems a good option for dslr work
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Dan,

Yeah, I even saw you on Genus's page!
17mm was OK? that's really great! Is that with both filters in?!
I assume from what you say, 16mm WILL vignette?
It does look like genus has a solid product.

Thanks for the info,
Takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
I'm a Genus fan through and through now so you may want to find someone with a more impartial view, however what I can say is that I love the Genus Mattebox mainly because it will allow me to get to 17mm with no vignette in movie mode. If you plan to use wide angles I would check what the Vocas can do.

There is a guy here on a shoot with me who is using the Vocas so maybe ping me a private message and I can send his email to you, he's played with both so may give you both sides.

Dan
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Finally I bought one Genus MB. It's a really nice MB, light and well constructed but have two things that I don't like. One is the blue filter tray. Some people find that can add some reflections. I hadn't this problem so far but in my sunny country I'll find it if it exists.
The second is that I think it have too much room beetwen filters and this can also be a problem. Anyway, I like it.
I worked some days with the vocas 250MB and I think in general is better but not tried it with wide lenses.
Carlos Padilla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD