Mini Review: Canon EOS ACK-E6 AC Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Wrangler

Mini Review: Canon EOS ACK-E6 AC Adapter

We've just posted a little mini-review of the Canon ACK-E6AC ac power adapter for use with the 5D Mark II and 7D. It's a nice little piece of kit and if you're not familiar with it, this review will show you how it integrates.

Canon ACK-E6 AC Power Adapter Review at DVInfo.net

Comments, corrections and feedback welcome!
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Major Player

I'll bet that with the right kind of battery, you could hack the cable to jack into a large external "DVD Battery" and it'd work for hours and hours without the need for AC and using much cheaper and larger batteries. I run my R44 off a cheapo "DVD Battery" that is connected via a hacked cable, and I can continuously record without AC power for probably 10 hours non-stop using 24-bits and four channels of phantom. Anyway, just a thought for those interested in these types of things. Not sure what the power requirements are for the 5D2, but I bet you could find a battery putting out the necessary DC to make it work. Just saying...
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Wrangler

There are definitely other DC power adapters (Canon makes a DC cable, but we haven't gotten one to review) and other manufacturers make cables to connect to power packs that have been discussed here on the forums. This solution is mainly useful when you're in a fixed location or you're doing a really long shoot, like time-lapses.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Depends where you're doing the time lapse I guess. I could imagine many locations where no access to AC would be possible, but using a killer DC source would do the trick just fine, heh!
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I had bad luck with my ACK-E6 AC Adapter. It was very noisy (it was gargling and whistleing) and not usable for quiet studio video shots. I guess I should have returned it and demanded a replacement but instead I opened it up (don't do that) and tried to fix the noise by putting some super glue on the transformer windings (silly I know). I had no success and ended up cutting off the exotic plug and soldering the cable to a $15 third party 7.5 V / 1 A power adapter.

Here's the DC coupler alone for a reasonable price:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...C_Coupler.html

and here's a ready-made 12 V to 7.2 V adapter for use with 12 V camcorder batteries:
Switronix XP Cable for Canon 5D/7D DSLR :: HDSLR Accessories :: Camera Accessories :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech
Martin Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Major Player

I bought this and my review is as follows…

Works fine.

Avey
theactionhouse.com
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just bought the cable part of the kit (with a dummy battery on the end), which cost £53, from Warehouse Express - part no. DR-E6. What a pity Canon couldn't stretch to fitting a DC socket on the camera!

Anyway, it seems to provide the only (?) way of getting an external 7.4v supply into the camera.

The camera consumes about 70mA when it's not doing anything, but that rises to 700mA with live view switched on. A 6000mAH 7.4v Li Po battery would run the camera for about 80 hours in normal or 8 hours if using live view.

Note: Lithium Polymer (Li Po) batteries need special chargers, are explosive and can self-ignite!! All batteries, especially ones designed to work at high discharge rates, are dangerous.
Geoff Gartside is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD