Canon 5D mk2 vs Nikon D3s in low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 14th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Trustee

Canon 5D mk2 vs Nikon D3s in low light

Here is a video showing Canon 5D mk2 vs Nikon D3s low light comparison:

Old December 14th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Both of the camera clips look nice, although the D3s seems to provide a much cleaner image at low light levels.
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Wrangler

I agree, it looks like it can handle the mid shadow range with less noise!

Btw, I'm out of the loop in regards to Nikon gear. I remember that Nikon had a DSLR that shot video around the time the 5D was released however it didn't stack up. Is this a new camera from Nikon with better video capability?
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Glen, the earlier Nikon you are refering to is the D90, Nikon's current high-end consumer DSLR. It's a $900 model with DX sensor and shot 720 progressive. The recently introduced D3s here is from their flagship pro line and costs $5000 and shoots full frame...but, still uses the 720p format.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Ok, I watched this full screen and I can't see any difference. I hope I never develop this "ability" to see flaws the way you guys do. I see very little appreciable noise in either shot. You guys must have never used an A1... :)
Bill
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Ok, I watched this full screen and I can't see any difference. I hope I never develop this "ability" to see flaws the way you guys do.
If you're honest, I bet you'd also realize that you already got this "ability" -- it's the sum of all components: As in "the more you see the more you know" thingee.

-- peer
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rusk View Post
Glen, the earlier Nikon you are refering to is the D90, Nikon's current high-end consumer DSLR. It's a $900 model with DX sensor and shot 720 progressive. The recently introduced D3s here is from their flagship pro line and costs $5000 and shoots full frame...but, still uses the 720p format.
Thanks for the clarification Steve. I wonder why Nikon is stuck on 720p even for their FULL FRAME sensor? The poster made a very good point- once you down-convert the 1080p 5D stuff to 720p frame size most of the noise will be smoothed out making the comparison moot.

5D over the Nikon offerings, all the way!
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Ok, I watched this full screen and I can't see any difference. I hope I never develop this "ability" to see flaws the way you guys do. I see very little appreciable noise in either shot. You guys must have never used an A1... :)
Bill
Bill the noise is most noticeable when the camera pans away from the items towards the shadows at the bottom of the frame.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD