Advice needed, The essentials for the 5D2? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 27th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Which model Tascam are you referring to? DR-07? DR-100? GT-R1? DR-1? (I'm guessing the DR-100 for $450)

DR100, $450 is the sticker, usually if you click the purchase button on BH the price will drop, i Think I paid $325 for mine two months ago. I was not happy with the Zoom h4n and returned it. I like the Tascam a lot better.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Unless you are always going to be on a tripod, get the battery grip. The extra size and weight really help stabilize handheld shots. The added battery capacity is a bonus.

And a viewfinder. I love my Zacuto, but have not had the opportunity to test the LCDVF or Cinevate.

Without additional camera support of some sort - Zacuto, Red Rock, Cinevate, etc - all the lenses in the world won't get you acceptable footage.
Jay Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #18
Trustee

Thanks Brian.
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I have bought only non-autofocus lenses. For most video situations, autofocus will means nothing. Auto focus on the Canon lenses, at least one I have tried, is not fast enough to keep up with a moving target. You will be pulling focus to set your shot up. I have bought a Nikkor 24mm 2.8, Nikkor 28mm f 3.5, Nikkor 35mm F 2.0, Nikkor 50mm F 1.4, and a Nikkor 100 mm F2.8 E Series, all for under $100.00.
Having the camera automatically focusing to keep a moving subject in focus is something that the 5DII does poorly in video mode (unlike a 'proper' video camera). What does work well prior to shooting is confirmation of focus by hitting the focus button (which flips down the mirror & does proper AI focusing as it would for a still photo). This does however require a Canon AI lens.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nazari View Post
So I have around $1,500 left over and I'm wondering what I should pick up, another lens? Sound equipment?
If you have $1500 to spend, I think I'd go for a Canon 16-35mm L lens, a Zoom H4n recorder, and a Zacuto viewfinder. Both the lens and the recorder you should be able to find used.

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD