has anyone used Zacuto Z Finder with Merlin Steadicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Major Player

has anyone used Zacuto Z Finder with Merlin Steadicam

I was planning to use the Zacuto Z Finder with the Zacuto Rapid Fire, but then a Merlin Steadicam landed in our office.

I haven't a clue how one can use the Merlin with a Canon 5D Mk. II plus Zacuto Z Finder.
Anyone?

Paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Major Player

I think the Z-Finder, or any loup in fact is more suited to be used with some sort of shoulder support like the Gunstock Shooters from Zacuto, or the DSLR kits from RedRock Micro, Cavision, Cinevate etc. rather than a Merlin type steadycam which has to be held AWAY from the body to work properly.

Two different styles of working.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks avey

i guess if i were to use strictly say a 24mm or 35mm at f5.6 or smaller where minimum focusing is required, the merlin is ideal.

but that sort of kill the isolation and strength of the canon 5D Mk. II and the joy of shooting near maximum aperture.

paul
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
I was planning to use the Zacuto Z Finder with the Zacuto Rapid Fire, but then a Merlin Steadicam landed in our office.

I haven't a clue how one can use the Merlin with a Canon 5D Mk. II plus Zacuto Z Finder.
Anyone?

Paul
It's simply not possible to use a loupe with a Steadicam. The way a Steadicam works is by balancing the camera on gimbals to isolate it from all external vibrations etc & get that smooth motion 'flying' look. As soon as you touch the camera whether to focus or to
squint through the loupe you would throw it off balance.

Flying a Steadicam is quite a skill & as you noted one normally uses a wide angle lens stopped down to give a reasonable depth of filed as it is not possible to touch the camera to focus while shooting on the Steadicam. There are professional (=expensive) remote control follow focus units designed to be operated by a focus puller & finally the oft rumoured low cost remote FF the Hocus Focus is now shipping but at a much higher price than anticipated.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Z Finder finally attached

nigel

agreed completely!

the merlin will likely see little action the type of work i do, but if ever there is some live action event where wide angles and even coverage is needed, i'd better practice my swinging skills.

now that my Z finder is finally attached and i got the zacuto rapid fire, i am going to practice with this setup.

i wonder though just how many off and on's the zacuto adhesives is good for?

paul
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
New Boot

No worries regarding the adhesives...Zacuto has a lifetime warranty.
Michael Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Major Player

after a few days with Z finder

still learning and getting into some rhythm with the Z finder

one thing was clear though

i can see the pixels of the LCD panel too clearly, enough to reveal all the dead and stuck pixels on mine. think i have 3 including one blue near center. i would not have seen them without the Z finder. luckily, no bad ones on the inside sensor which does affect the final image.

as for handling the Z finder, i tried the rapid fire but with a canon power grip and a RRS l plate, the rig is just to heavy and unbalanced for the rapid fire. think i'll have to use a monopod with the Z finder instead.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD