30 - 25p headaches at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 6th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #1
Major Player

30 - 25p headaches

Wow, i've never spent so long on what is a simple editing job.

I've just done an 8 minute project involving several interviews which needs to go to DVD. Following Phil Bloom's tutorial i finally got my 25p Qtime.mov after a whopping 16 hrs encoding at High Quality in Compressor. The only problem is the sync drifts as the film progresses. I used a Sennheiser radio mic setup to record from the camera, which was not ideal, but satisfactory for what is a low-paid job for an undiscerning client. I also sorted out the drift by cutting the film (which is already in 4 sections) down, and sliding along the audio track to get it in sync.
So it looks like i've sorted it out for this time at least, but anyone else had this problem, and anyone know when this 25p Firmware update is likely to arrive as i don't fancy going through this drama again.
I shall buy an independent recorder like a Zoom at some point, but since the problem seems to be in the frame rate conversion stage, i wonder whether i'd still have problems?

I sold my XHA1 to buy the 5d mkii and have previously been very happy with the change, but this time round i really missed the A1 which would have been a piece of cake to work with. I'm tempted to trade in the 5d for a 7d, but if the update is imminent i can wait.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The update is expected in February, but that is not a 100% guarantee.
Christian Ionescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I asked the Canon reps at CES about the firmware. Mum is the word. They didn't give any hint whatsoever about what or when the firmware will be. My guess is that the people I spoke with have no idea either...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD