DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Zoom Choices (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/470591-zoom-choices.html)

Kevin Dooley January 7th, 2010 11:55 AM

Zoom Choices

I'm looking to make a small, single man camera kit based around our 5DMKII for discreet international trips where we'll mostly be shooting BRoll (there will be occasional interviews, but mostly just footage of our Organization at work overseas). After discussing with my boss, we feel like if we could get 2 zoom lenses to cover a decent range that we'd be in pretty good shape. We're looking at the Canon 70-200 2.8 with IS, but we're needing something on the lower end of focal ranges.

Since we often wind up inside with no lights, we'd like something relatively fast (at least for a zoom).

So what are our options in the 15/17mm-70mm range for a 2.8ish zoom?
We'd prefer to stay Canon compatible (versus some type of adapter for Nikons or whatever).

What would be considered top of line? What's acceptable quality? Anything with IS? What lenses would you avoid?

Wayne Avanson January 7th, 2010 12:30 PM

I use the 70-200 2.8 L IS lens and couple it with the 24-70 2.8 L

Both VERY acceptable from my experience.

Avey

Kevin Dooley January 7th, 2010 12:31 PM

Given that some of this footage will be shot hand-held/monopod, will there be an issue with that lens not having IS?

Andy Wilkinson January 7th, 2010 02:01 PM

There are rumours that the excellently regarded Canon 24-70 F2.8 L lens will be upgraded to have IS sometime soon...makes sense...but your guess is as good as mine on the truth of that one - I really don't know. Canon make a 24-105 F4 IS lens that I gather is pretty impressive from reading many reviews, but you loose the F2.8 lower light advantage that you probably need from what you wrote. On the positive side, you would have some zoom range overlap with a 70-200 (which can aid flexibility/less need to swap lenses at a critical moment etc.)...so right now those seem to be your two best choices on the wide to mid zoom range, if you stick with Canon. My experience (on a 7D with a mid range zoom) is that IS is critical for video with longer lenses unless your going to pimp up your 5DMkII with a rig, and IS is also an excellent advantage for hand held stills.

Also, note, Canon have just announced a brand new, improved version of the 70-200 F2.8 IS lens which has a shorter minimum focus distance than the current model (the current models are available with and without IS, i.e. 2 versions, just so you know!). They claim that it will be easier to use, for example, indoors, for head and shoulder type portrait/interview type shots. Canon also claim improved image quality with no/very little additional weight on this new 70-200 IS. A link was posted on here in the last day or two and I'll add that reference in a second if I can find it again but price is still not yet known. Ships to USA in April, if that's not too late for you.

Here you go!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...-200mm-ii.html

Kevin Dooley January 7th, 2010 02:14 PM

That would be a no-brainer if that lens came with IS.

Thanks for the good info and the heads up on the second version of the 70-200.

Bill Binder January 7th, 2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Dooley (Post 1469187)
That would be a no-brainer if that lens came with IS.

Unless it cost $1,000 more than it already does, in which case I'm not sure it'd be worth it. I don't miss IS on that lens at all really, but of course, IS would be better than no IS. Just saying that Canon has some recent history of really jacking up the prices on the version II lenses...

Wayne Avanson January 7th, 2010 03:56 PM

I Haven't felt the need for IS on my 24-70 either. Seems to work fine without on a monopod and a shoulder support.

Kevin Dooley January 7th, 2010 04:01 PM

That's good info. I know IS is less necessary at wider focal lengths, and if guys are getting good results without it on this lens, we'll keep that in mind when we go to buy...

Any chance of seeing some handheld footage on this particular lens?

Andy Wilkinson January 7th, 2010 04:03 PM

You might want to scan this thread about IS, need for a rig if doing video handheld etc. I've said enough on all this (and I need to finish this clients final cut tonight!!!) so I'll let others advise you further. Good luck!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-handheld.html

Bill Binder January 7th, 2010 04:48 PM

No one should really ever be truly "hand holding" a DLSR for video, with or without IS, period. A monopod (I disagree with the poster in the other thread about monopods, they can and do make a gigantic difference from hand held) or a tripod or shoulder support is mandatory -- IS or no IS IMHO.

Kevin Dooley January 7th, 2010 05:04 PM

Completely agree - by "handheld" I meant - "handheld with a proper shoulder rig"