Rotating Camera Shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 19th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #1
Tourist

Rotating Camera Shot

I am shooting with a 5D MkII. Does anyone know a solution for a rotating camera shot? Rotating as if the camera is spinning on an axis running through the lens to the back for the camera. I know I've seen it in many films, but the only one I can think of right now is Requiem for a Dream.
Michel Hulsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Michel,

I've used two types (with full size cine cameras): "roll-over mounts" rotate the whole camera around the lens axis and "Frazier lenses" rotate the image within the lens system manually or via motor-drive so that the camera stays still.

Frazier lenses (or similar) are very sophisticated and expensive to rent so roll-over mounts are probably the way to go. Rental houses also provide roll-over mounts but seeing as your camera is so small you might consider making a bespoke one or getting one made for you.

Hope this helps
Paul Kousoulides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

...Tell a lie, I've used another type as well.

If you shoot full HD and your final output is SD you can enlarge the frame enough (in an NLE) to fully rotate the SD frame within the HD borders without it looking too soft.

You'll be enlarging the image a lot so you might want to shoot with a wide angle lens. You can reduce the enlargement as the frame levels.

I think that's all...
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

am i missing something?

if you made an L shaped bracket to mount your camera on so the bracket moved the mounting plate on the bottom of the camera to one at the center of the lens (obviously facing the back of the camera)and then rotated on that wouldn't that do the job? rotate the whole camera.

you might need to fabricate some additional gear to mount it on a tripod so you could pan and rotate and if you needed more than the one rotation you could probably get safely on the mounting bolt, you might have to make a crank.

it would be ackward but....cheap. but like i say i could be missing something.

aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Wait, isn't the easiest solution is to perfect a hand-held camera work while doing a handless cartwheel??? Or just learn how to flip the camera like a knife in your hand? hehehe...

Too funny that you posted this because just the other day I was trying to brainstorm this idea in a DIY way and haven't come up with anything yet that would really work.
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

Here is a very simple system I have used before.

It is made from a piece of aluminum L that is attached to the bottom of the Camera.

It has a 1/2" rod that comes out the back and runs through a block of Delrin plastic (very smooth turning w/o bearings) it has a counter weight in the back to balance on the tripod head.

The Delrin Block has tapped holes for mounting on your tripod head.

This works very smoothly you can even add a crank on the rod outside the counter weight.

If you are handy you can easily make this.

If not contact me and I will quote you a price for one.

olof@westsideav.com
Attached Thumbnails
Rotating Camera Shot-screen-shot-2010-01-19-1.52.22-pm.png  
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Olof,

I like your assembly. one thing to consider when designing a roll-over mount is how to monitor the picture.

The rental model I used had a tube through the middle (for a video cable) and a take-up spool so that you could pre-wind several revolutions and then unwind it during the take. You could probably feed audio too... (yes you could use wireless instead etc etc.).

The design differed from yours in that the camera/roll-over mount assembly's centre of gravity was directly above the tripod/head and it had a car steering wheel (Renault I believe) as the means of turning. Therefore it didn't need a counterweight.

It was crude but effective - it even worked pointing straight down with the Camera Operator using his foot to turn it.

best of luck
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

olof
thats what i was thinking, except for the delrin block, thanks for that.
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #9

I do use a tube in my old design actually for that very reason.

I also have a way of balancing the rig so it is neutral. This is important for fast spins, or it will wobble.

It is also a very nice rig to use on a dolly doing dutch rolls to simulate dizziness. It is more intense than doing this with a steadicam.

And it works well straight up or down as well as anywhere in between.
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Tourist

Hey, thanks guys. Great info.

Olof, I'm going to give that design a try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Paul, thanks for mentioning audio. I'm going to see if I can copy the design for a free spinning handlebar-brake cable connection which is used on freestyle bmx bikes to feed audio and possible video cables through.

I'll see if I can make a DIY video from this.

Olof, thanks again!
Michel Hulsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

you could buy one of these heads, made for shooting 360 degree panos...

Kaidan Incorporated
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:25 AM   #12

I am building a "spinner" for Tito.

It will be done in the next couple weeks. I will post photos here as work progresses.

It will be built to use with 5DmkII and various lenses as well as EX1. You will be able to adjust the rig to balance for weight differences and mount to center of lens distance. It is a really fun project.

I have a number of products for the EX1 for sale already:EX1 Stronger Plates

And I am just starting work on some 5DmkII products. First is a series of "sliders" reasonable priced, and very portable in custom lengths. I will be posting photos and prices this weekend.
Here is some info on the sliders:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dolly-tr...lable-now.html

If anyone is interested in more info.
Contact me:
Olof@westsideav.com

Last edited by Olof Ekbergh; January 22nd, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:00 PM   #13
Major Player

Paul
Can I ask you where in the UK you rented your spinner from?
I'm looking to rent something like it for a shoot with my 5D.
I'm in London, UK.
Sorry everyone to ask via the forum. I would have messaged Paul but I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Can you simply use a tripod and star dolly, then lock the front wheel and spin it around the locked front weel right under the lens?

Cheers
Mitchel

Sydney Wedding Videos and DVDs - Icon Film Productions, High Defenition
Mitchell Yazdani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD