DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Training DVD for 5D2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/471560-training-dvd-5d2.html)

L.J. Morelli January 23rd, 2010 05:55 PM

Training DVD for 5D2

There's about 3 or 4 I found on line. Their reviews vary widely. Does anyone own one and love it? Or tell me which one to stay away from. Thanks.

James Miller January 25th, 2010 06:02 AM

Hi L.J

There is a review on Philip Blooms 5DMK2 on this site under 'Articles'
Review: Learn Canon 5D Mark II Cinematography with Philip Bloom DVD at DVInfo.net

He was the first to produce a DVD for the 5DMK2. Here is a link to an extract of the DVD.
LearnDSLRvideo — Welcome

James

L.J. Morelli January 25th, 2010 11:41 AM

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I need one geared more towards stills.

Tito Haggardt January 25th, 2010 01:23 PM

i had the same problem
i never shot stills just video
i put the camera on a tripod and opened up the manual and started on page one
it falls together but video is a diffrent animal so you have to really think how your shot is going to look and plan it out. but it works to plan it out like you are shooting a still. a lot of stills, real fast.

heres a nice artical on the video side
Easy Canon 5D post ? Round II digitalfilms

aloha
tito

Morton Molyneux January 26th, 2010 11:03 PM

Have a look at this site.

Blue Crane Digital - DVD Titles

cheers

Morton

Scott Aubuchon February 5th, 2010 01:26 PM

I purchased and watched Blooms "Learn the 5D Mark 2"... it was OK, but I didn't really get much from it. Keep in mind, I was already a fairly experienced user, but still not happy with my results. I was hoping for more... but unless you are a real beginner, I wouldn't bother... I wouldn't be sour if it cost about half what it did.

Roberto Lanczos February 6th, 2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Aubuchon (Post 1482072)
I purchased and watched Blooms "Learn the 5D Mark 2"... it was OK, but I didn't really get much from it.

Same here...

I bought the 5D mkII training from philip, and it was total waste of money for me. I do believe is excellent for beginners and those who just got the 5D or 7D.

Plus+, i fell into the trap with the 7D training also, hoping to get something new.
To my surprise, all topics were already covered here in the forum before the release.
i couldn't get anything new from any of the dics.

270$ OOOUCH!!! i could've use that in a good lens.

Peer Landa February 6th, 2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberto Lanczos (Post 1482542)
I bought the 5D mkII training from philip, and it was total waste of money for me. [...] 270$ OOOUCH!!! i could've use that in a good lens.

What?! Is Bloom's DVD really $270...?! I wonder what on this earth could be on that DVD which would justify such a price tag. Pray tell.

-- peer

Roberto Lanczos February 7th, 2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1482667)
What?! Is Bloom's DVD really $270...?! I wonder what on this earth could be on that DVD which would justify such a price tag.

135$ each +plus shipping.

everything is pretty much covered here in the forum thou.

Matthew Roddy February 8th, 2010 12:42 PM

With all due respect to Phillip Bloom's work and all he's given the Community, I can't recommend the video(s) either.

I had a chance to watch them last night, hoping for even a single gem.
The material was really centered to a new videographer, and only barely touched on how to get the most out of the 5DM2 (though it did mention some of the shortcomings, so a new user would know what to expect).

If you have even a clue how to shoot and what camera does, and if you've read a few posts here on this awesome forum, you already know everything offered on the DVD.

Phillip is a pro and knows his material well, but there's just nothing offered on this title to capture anything other than the absolute novice who knows not a single thing about the craft.

This is, of course, just an opinion of one guy. Your mileage will vary.

Ryan Koo February 16th, 2010 06:55 PM

Allow me to recommend my DSLR Guide, which is not a video but rather a web page containing 10,000 words for the grand total of $0.00!

The DSLR Cinematography Guide

Hope you find it helpful! I'll be updating it with some new sections tomorrow.

Ryan