I finally found "THE" DSLR rig for me! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:18 AM   #16
Major Player

Here's Dennis Wood of Cinevate's video university segment on the Uno:

Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:59 PM   #17
Major Player

Jeeps Glenn, what a great review. We know that Uno is not for everyone, but it's very gratifying to see the response to the rig here. Erik, thanks for posting the clip...I had no idea dvinfo was set up for this. Just a few points to add:

1. We sell the Uno and DLSR grips alone so you can purchase an UNO with two grips.

2. The Uno can be ordered with a single base plate support, or two. We suggest two like you're using in this review. I should mention too that we have a new base plate in the works which will provide quick release functionality for 3 common sizes of plates, still allow sliding, but also release straight upwards. So basically the quick-release system Glenn added will be integrated into our Proteus base system.

3. When Uno is used with our Durus Follow Focus, the follow focus itself is the third point of contact. It's designed to take (and we've demonstrated) 35lb pound hanging loads. Matt Jeppsen aludes to this in his Durus review at FreshDV.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
www.cinevate.com
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM   #18
Trustee

thaz a great video Dennis! The only thing to figure out is how to allow event shooters to trigger the start/stop button with this config.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #19
Major Player

Dennis,

The use of the single rail mount of the Durus with the Uno does look handy for sure.

Sean,

I have the solution to your trigger problem, Its a hack for a regular remote and I had it made at Sim Lim Square when I was over last year. Drop me a PM and I'll get you the info.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #20
Major Player

When I got my hands on the UNO at IN[FOCUS] I wasn't very impressed with the way the ball joints slipped for the hand grip (even when I tried cranking down on the screw). Typically, shooters hold the grip with there right hand or both hands on their right shoulder. I tried adjusting the ball joint so the grip would be in a comfortable position and it would slip after tightening. I applaud you for being able to hold the grip with your left hand, have the stock pressed against your right shoulder, and pull focus with your right hand. I'm so used to shooting with video cameras that have everything geared toward using your right hand as the stabilizer (ENG cams you put your hand on the zoom controls on the lens, usually all of the weight is geared toward the right shoulder, etc...).
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Dan, Would you please give more information about the hack you had done to your remote?

Thanks Norm
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #22
Major Player

Cody, we did several months of testing specifically related to the ball material, clamping force and stability. There is a wide variation in grip possible depending on how much clamp force is used. We did this because we know some will want to be able to dynamically adjust, while others will want the links "locked" down. One thing that is important to note is that as the clamp system is tightened, the clamps bed into the ball material. This is by design so that the longer a joint is left into the position (particularly if tightened properly), the better the grip. Upon release, the ball surface deformation recovers quickly to ensure full adjustability. They do work.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Dulock View Post
When I got my hands on the UNO at IN[FOCUS] I wasn't very impressed with the way the ball joints slipped for the hand grip (even when I tried cranking down on the screw). Typically, shooters hold the grip with there right hand or both hands on their right shoulder. I tried adjusting the ball joint so the grip would be in a comfortable position and it would slip after tightening. I applaud you for being able to hold the grip with your left hand, have the stock pressed against your right shoulder, and pull focus with your right hand. I'm so used to shooting with video cameras that have everything geared toward using your right hand as the stabilizer (ENG cams you put your hand on the zoom controls on the lens, usually all of the weight is geared toward the right shoulder, etc...).

I haven't had any issues with slippage in the handle what-so-ever. If I did, I would be very dissapointed. The kip handles on the Cinevate gear seem to have quite extraordinary gripping power, meanwhile I had nothing but problems with my Red Rock handles constantly slipping. I found this to be less of an issue if I used a tool to tighten but then I couldn't hand loosen it if I needed to adjust anything.

The rig you handled at InFocus may have been damaged or worn. I own the rig and haven't had a single problem in that area- and I'm quite sensitive to this kind of stuff due to my previous experience with RR.
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Glen,

The single rail design is nothing new though. It's the way I've had my Redrock rigged for a while now. In fact the Uno looks very similar in concept to my modified Redrock rig.

Dan
Dan, can you share pictures of how you have your RR gear configured? Thanks.

Steve
Steve Towle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Zacuto Rapid fire or Uno ... audio?

I am on the fence between the Uno and the Zacuto Rapid Fire. I love my Cinevate gear, but am interested in this debate between actually handling the body (Zacuto Rapid Fire) vs handling the rig (Cinevate Uno). Can anyone expand on this?

Secondly, I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has considered the use of audio on either of these rigs. I know these products are for more run n' gun style shooting, but if indeed there was a brief need for a shotgun or lav mic connected, my assumption is the uno might be more flexible for this?

Thoughts?
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Towle View Post
Dan, can you share pictures of how you have your RR gear configured? Thanks.

Steve
I have also configured a hybrid one rail system with the redrock theEvent... it's pretty slick! When I get time I will post some pictures. It's very compact, small, and light weight!
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:44 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post
2. The Uno can be ordered with a single base plate support, or two. We suggest two like you're using in this review. I should mention too that we have a new base plate in the works which will provide quick release functionality for 3 common sizes of plates, still allow sliding, but also release straight upwards. So basically the quick-release system Glenn added will be integrated into our Proteus base system.
Dennis has this new base plate with multiple quick release plate possibilities come out yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post
3. When Uno is used with our Durus Follow Focus, the follow focus itself is the third point of contact. It's designed to take (and we've demonstrated) 35lb pound hanging loads. Matt Jeppsen aludes to this in his Durus review at FreshDV.
When focusing with just your hand on the lens you can support from the bottom of the lens and focus. Will the Durus act as a third point of contact that can actually support in addition to just stabilizing (hope that makes sense)?

Also do you guys have any examples or images of Uno with additional things mounted to it such as a Zoom or other small recorder or Wireless Lav receiver, etc.?

I'm leaning towards getting the uno but am just trying to imagine how it's going to work for me in the real world.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Bellefeuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:37 AM   #28
Major Player

Scott, the Durus would serve as the third point of contact when in use and is built to take this load with no issues.

With regard to the quick release system, we debuted that at NAB2010. As promised, it allows 3 different plates to be used and allows upward ejection of all three while retaining sliding adjustment too. We're expecting full integration to the entire product line in about two weeks.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
www.cinevate.com
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD