Maybe I am missing something at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Maybe I am missing something

I am currently looking to expand my services and offer video to my customers. About 1 month ago I decided to dig into my 5DII video capabilites but can't say I was very thrilled after encountering numerous obstacles. I currently have XL1 but might sell it and invest in a Mint condition Z1U with low hours. But before I do that I wanted to hear what people have to say about it. Maybe I am missing something and should further explore video abailities of my 5DII?? Is that true that pros are buying 5DII just for its video abilites? I want to hear what pros and amatures have to say about it. Thanks
Ilya Mamonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

this question has been answered since the beginning:

IT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF WORK, YOUR VISION AND WHAT YOU'RE TRYING to PROJECT.

THE TRUTH IS UGLY MY FRIEND:
IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WANT, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO DECIDE.
NOBODY CAN HELP YOU. WE CAN'T SEE INTO THE FUTURE AND TELL YOU
WHAT'S GONNA SERVE YOU BETTER IN THE LONG RUN.

---------

In my opinion.. i think the 5D is a camera that can do almost anything you want.
it has it's limitations in quality. you just gotta know how to play the game with lenses.
is all about the lenses. and it's a lot of money...
if you cover from 24/28 to 200mm, and think you have lot of chance to survive.

The downside of the 5D:
is a 24hrs crying baby. you gotta treat it with careful... prepare de shots,
be patient, focus, light, aperture, everything have to be tweaked for every new shot.
is a PITA if you're a FAST camera man, who likes to go right to the point and shoot.

i think the XL1 it's a beautiful piece of equipment for quick interviews,
NEWS report, reality shows, documentaries ( unless you're going to HISTORY CHANNEL ;).

Again... 5D is 30p.

i'm going to stop now. i'm getting emotional.

if that 24p firmware ever comes out... it's gonna be the bomb. 5D rocks!
Roberto Lanczos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't have a 5D, but I do use a 7D exclusively now. Had a JVC HD110 and loved it, love the 7D more.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I actually have everything from 16 to 200 covered. I have 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 f4, 50 1.4 and 85 1.2. I am a photographer and mostly shoot weddings, parties, kids and people who hire me when they are touring Miami. For weddings and parties I am not ready yet but for those touring the city I could try it. It's just I am familiar with Z1U and just do not understand why would a professional get 5DII or 7D instead of Z1U. I think majority of customers won't be able to see the difference when they get a DVD. Maybe if you shoot with 5DII and then spend a few weeks post processing it you could get something out of it, but who's got the time to do it?? I prefer to do everything right from the start and 5DII does not allow you to control much. Do you use it professionally?
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Mamonov View Post
Do you use it professionally?
Yes. so far, no complaints from any client.
But is hard work. sometimes when doing the same shot for the 67th time,
that's when you realize this job is not fun anymore.

I can't pay the bills without my ND filters.
without the ND filters, i'm nobody in this business.
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What kind of work do you do?
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I shoot covers for YouTube, myspace and facebook. rehearsals is part of my work also.
music videos, 5min biographies and "SHORT FILM" assignments for college students.
Promos for WEB also, could be for services or products.
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
I don't have a 5D, but I do use a 7D exclusively now. Had a JVC HD110 and loved it, love the 7D more.
Could you please elaborate on this a bit more. I want to hear what are the pros and cons of 7D compare to JVC. And do you do professionally?
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Lanczos View Post
I shoot covers for YouTube, myspace and facebook. rehearsals is part of my work also.
music videos, 5min biographies and "SHORT FILM" assignments for college students.
Promos for WEB also, could be for services or products.
Is the camera stationary when you film or you hand-hold it? I had real issues with it when I was hand-holding it and then converted using Neo Scene. Infact any panning I did produced those annoying distortions.
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #10
Inner Circle

You have to get this camera on a shoulder brace, or have some other form of steadying it or you will end up with a lot of useless footage.
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Could you please elaborate on this a bit more. I want to hear what are the pros and cons of 7D compare to JVC. And do you do professionally?
Yes I am a video professional and it's pretty much all I do right now. Like anything it's a tool and you must learn how to use it, and use it within it's limits. The easiest way I think I can convey this to you is.... Think about the best picture you ever shot.... Then try to recreate that with the Z1, more than likely you can not do it. Now, think about the best video you shot with the Z1 and think about how to recreate that with the 5D. With careful planning and some skill you can do it with ease. Yes the 5D takes more planning and time, but it produces beautiful shots in the right hands and takes you where Z1's simply can not go. Is it the end all, be all??? No, but it really does a great job if you use it right. If you are in a BIG hurry probably not the best choice, but with thought and time it will produce great images.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
I just do not understand why would a professional get 5DII or 7D instead of Z1U
1) because of it's sensor size - when we're talkin video, men it does make a difference;
2) to get that 35mm look and feel without using ugly awkward DOF adapters, or moving 30 feet away from the subject, it's just beautiful.
3) Incredible low light performance (sensor size again :)
I shoot weddings, i work alone, I use EX1 on steadicam and 5Dii for fixed shots,
If only 5Dii had autofocus and no 12 min limit, it would be my ultimate camera!
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Ok, it all sounds convincing. Maybe I should not dump the idea just yet :) Can anybody recommend a source to learn more about the camera's video capabilities? Tips, techniques, stuff like that? Besides Phillip Bloom.
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Tips, techniques, stuff like that? Besides Phillip Bloom.
Eh, maybe you should first check out this thread before uttering Phillip Bloom's name:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...g-dvd-5d2.html

-- peer
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Ok, it all sounds convincing. Maybe I should not dump the idea just yet :) Can anybody recommend a source to learn more about the camera's video capabilities? Tips, techniques, stuff like that? Besides Phillip Bloom.

Canon EOS 5D Mk. II for HD Forum at DVinfo.net
Canon EOS 7D for HD Forum at DVinfo.net
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD