image stutters when panning - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 18th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #31
Trustee

I have an 8 core Mac Pro with 16GB of ram that will sometimes stutter on these files and also high bit rate mpeg 2 files. Turns out, it is a Quicktime problem as the files play perfectly smooth in vlc player.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #32
Major Player

I too have a MacPro with the same config. (2) 2.26ghz, 16gb RAM, w/ATI 4870HD, OS 10.6.2.

I find QT plays it back the smoothest ..... but just on the Mac side. QT, WMP and VLC on the Windows side is not smooth playback for these 5D2 files...at least for me.

But regarding the main issue here of the "dropped/repeated" frames; it does happen primarily when there is a change in exposure. Sometimes even when set to manual everything (Aperture, Shutter, ISO) when panning it happens too.

I used the exact same CF cards (reformatted of course) and went to Fry's to test shoot with the 7D; and tried to repeat what the 5D2 was doing; it didn't. No dropped/skipped frames whatsoever at any setting/configuration.

Hopefully the new T2i won't have any of these issues either...even though it utilizes the SD cards instead of CF cards.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #33
Tourist

Re: image stutters when panning

I'm betting it could be Rolling Shutter, if it's a CMOS or non-Global shutter, or could it be uploading it to the internet causes the problem. Before I finalize my XHA1 footage in Premier Pro and process it through Encore, I get some of the skips of the footage, especially on panning, but once I send it to Blu Ray, it seems ok. One case in point, to be more specific, is the You Tube video review of the Sony HXR nx30 , by the Video Whisperer. I love that camera, and his reviews, but as I'm watching the footage, I can't help but notice some of that skipping video now and then in the background, especially. Man, that's annoying to me, and could be a deal breaker for me, whether to buy that camera or not. Marc Trainor.
Marc Trainor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD