image stutters when panning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 8th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

image stutters when panning

I have noticed something and was wondering if anyone is having a similar issuer and/or has a fix for this. I have noticed either on a tripod panning up and down or side to side that the image stutters. Is anyone having this issue? At first I noticed this on the glidetrack but I thought it was me using the glidetrack for the first time and I wasn't manipulating it correctly. Than I put the 5D on the a Monfrotto tripod with a 501 video head and was panning. When I brought the footage into the computer i saw that it stutters.
Please, if anyone has any suggestions how to rectify this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
Tom Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
New Boot

I'm assuming you have everything in manual mode, so all I can think of is that if you're using a lens with IS, try turning it off. Might help.
Tommi Hares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, manual mode and using a Canon 24-70mm L lens.
Tom Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

First, make sure you reformat your card regularly. That will allow the camera an easier time writing to the card.

Second, sometimes a stutter will show up in the LCD, but not actually be recorded.

Third, the camera will stutter, depending on the pace of you pan. You may see it in higher shutter speeds. I shoot most video at 1/60th. Judder will become more pronounced at higher shutter speeds.
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Major Player

First guess you are panning to fast. Try it again and pan MUCH slower. When you get into these frame rates/shutter speeds it really makes a difference. It's not your father's video camera!!! LOL
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

No, panning speed does not really matter. I asked the same question on this forum a couple of weeks ago and did not get an answer. I Googled this issue and there are quite a few posts about it. The only way not to get them is not to move your camera. Somebody mentioned that majority of beautiful 5DII clips are made with stationary cameras. At least I did not find a solution. Maybe somebody knows how to solve this problem. I would love to hear it too.
Ilya Mamonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Major Player

I don't buy the "don't move the camera" theory.
There's a lot of footage out there with significant movement: from Philip Bloom's work with sliders on Skywalker Ranch to every (frickin') hand-held shot to Vincent Laforet's work (most recently where he used a "steadicam" kind of rig on "Beyond The Still") to the great work being done on all the skating/BMX videos.
The camera seems to be able to handle some decent movement...

Without knowing more, I'd have to guess the stuttering has to be an issue of not fast enough cards or something in the Post work flow.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I am using Sandisk PRO UDMA cards so doubt the speed pf 90mb/s is not enough. But I agree with post processing idea. I did nto see any issues when playing raw files in ZoomBrowser. They only appeared after converting them in Neo Scene. Converting using same frame rates did produce those stutters but converting to 24p showed dramatic increase. Is it possible that the issue appeared because I was converting files that were stored on external drive? Maybe I should have coped them to my C drive? Tom did not mention when he saw those stutters appear (playing raw files or after processing them).
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #9
Inner Circle

First, p footage, whether 30p or 24p, has more of a tendancy to show a judder effect. The slower the frame rate, the more chance that will occur. If you watch real film you will see similar judder. Using a 180 shutter (1/60) helps reduce it with motion blur.

Converting 30p files to 24p is a big mess, and won't give you any real decent footage-- especially when the camera is in motion. No wonder you are having an issue. Cineform does not recommend transcoding. NeoScenes 24p conversion is for the 24p material shot in the 60i stream, like the HV20. I also has some success in standard 60i conversion, but with potential problems. The internet is littered with programs and schemes for converting 30p to 24p, and none are absolutely fool proof. That is why we are all clamoring for actual 25p and 24p in the 5D II.
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Trustee

I've had a couple of instances of this stuttering (on pans) and I've noticed it on the LCD. I just recompose the shot and shoot over. It's never happened twice in a row.
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I actually saw it on the LCD but not when viewed in ZoomBrowser. And yes I saw it in the movies but not as pronounced. But what do you think about converting it when files are stored on external drives and not on C:? Can that affect it as well?
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Thread title changed from " Ah OHHHH! 5DMKII Problem?????" to "image stutters when panning" -- please avoid ambiguous thread titles on DV Info Net. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Mamonov View Post
I actually saw it on the LCD but not when viewed in ZoomBrowser. And yes I saw it in the movies but not as pronounced. But what do you think about converting it when files are stored on external drives and not on C:? Can that affect it as well?
It should not. Conversion to NeoScene should not be affected by where the footage is sitting on the system. It may slow the process. The conversion is a matter of transcoding the file contents, not playing back, the file and recoding in the process.

If you are having issues, with NeoScene, you are better served by posting in their forum here, or by filing a trouble ticket. David Newman at Cineform monitors the forum religiously and responds immediately.
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Ok thanks. I have to do some more testing and will let them know if I continue having problems.
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #15
Major Player

Tom, this may be a silly question, but have you actually noticed missing frames from the footage? Have you advanced the footage frame by frame and noticed repeated or missing frames? During playback I've noticed a stutter during panning many times with the 5D, but it's always due to the computer not displaying the footage properly in playback; i.e. the computer not being fast enough. Those darn late 2009 17" MacBook Pros are way too slow ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD