DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Transport 5D with or without attached lens..? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/472990-transport-5d-without-attached-lens.html)

Peer Landa February 16th, 2010 01:37 PM

Transport 5D with or without attached lens..?

I got yet another Pelican case for my 5D. Before I cut the foam, I'd like to hear some opinions whether I could transport/ship the camera with a lens attached, or should I cut out separate pockets in the foam for the lenses so they'll always stay detached during transport.

Although I like the idea of having the camera ready to shoot right off the bat, I'm a little concerned about possible damage to the lens-thread from vibrations during transport... or do you think the bayonet mount is strong enough to withstand some bouncing around inside a snug foam case?

The largest/heaviest lens I'd most likely have mounted is a 70-200 L lens.

-- peer

Cody Dulock February 16th, 2010 02:49 PM

It depends on what I'm shooting...

If I'm out just having fun I will usually bring my 24-105 and leave it attached and throw it in the back seat. If I'm shooting an event, short film, etc... I have my pelican case setup where the body is by itself that way everything packs in better. I have no idea what lens I will be shooting with until I get on set usually, so keeping one attached isn't too big of a deal for me. I really think it depends on your shooting style and what kind of stuff you shoot as to how you should have things set up.

Peer Landa February 16th, 2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Dulock (Post 1486892)
I really think it depends on your shooting style and what kind of stuff you shoot as to how you should have things set up.

Well, my concern was possible damage from having it attached to the camera while transporting it.

-- peer

Mike Watson February 16th, 2010 02:58 PM

In a softcase, I keep the lens attached.

In a hard case, I detach the lens.

I'm not necessarily "worried" that the vibrations will do bad things to the camera, it's just that when it's in a soft case I'm usually treating it with kid gloves, and in a hard case it is generally getting beat around a bit more.

Chris Hurd February 16th, 2010 02:59 PM

For shipping, I think the safest way to go is lens off.

Plus, I keep a couple of spare sets of body caps with
mine just in case I lose one. Third-party replacements
are cheap on Ebay and fit nicely.

Bill Binder February 16th, 2010 03:16 PM

There can be no doubt whatsoever that in terms of the safest method, it's lens off.

That's not to say I don't leave my lens on 90% of the time when traveling, LOL. But the above is a fact, less leverage on everything that way for sure, and for long trips, or trips where things might get stirred up a bit, or when shipping, etc., lens off no doubt IMHO.