Best Accesory for $400 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #16
Major Player

well, I guess at larger venues use a tripod with a camera platform to get you above the crowd and use a telephoto zoom lens. For the small venues I think the monopod could work very well.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #17
Major Player

Just a little more info on behalf of Hoodman. I'm not their spokesperson but I did have a chance to play with their new cinema hoodeye.

The new piece includes an enlarged eyecup (think video style) and a 3x magnifying optic. Best of all it works with the existing hoodman hoodloupe 3.0 so you just pop it on the eyepiece part.

Also Hoodman optics are really stellar - they get their optics from a german optics company they cannot name, but a name you would absolutely recognize. As Jon pointed out the issue is really just keeping the eye centered and the new video eyecup does just that.

I for one am definitely looking forward to the release of this accessory. Promises to be really great performance at a fantastic price.

Cheers

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #18
Major Player

Brian, I really like the idea of this and would be a first user. My only ?? (that you've just answered) was how would they implement the upgrade as an accessory?

The current optics obviously have a very narrow useable FOV, and as I've written, the new Eyeloupe definitely helps focus on the center comfortably - but won't adding a new magnifier to that simply magnify the blurriness? I expected some sort of swap-out/retrofit.

It is kind of ironic how they went to such length to poo-poo the use of magnification by their competitors only to offer it themselves.

That said, I really like the idea and if it's as optically clean as the Z-finder, then I'd definitely add it to mine.

Any idea of release date or estimated price?
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Jim

As I said, I don't speak for Hoodman and don't know the details on price and availability, but what I do know is if the hoodloupe itself is around $70-80 i would guess an accessory is almost assuredly less than that. Like the current cinema eyepiece, you just pull off your existing eyepiece and put on this one. easy peazy

as far as release date, I hear it's very soon now. If I can find out more details I'll post here

cheers

Brian
Old February 27th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I know the release date...

It will be only a day or so before the day I purchase it. ;)
Old February 27th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #21
Major Player

Update - the official word is release this Monday March 1 (yes a couple days from now)

Cheers

Brian
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #22
Major Player

Well you're more of an spokesman than you let on Brian <g>. Seriously, that's great. I've just put a second hand held system together and have the Z-finder on the other one. This should be a nice way to make the Hoodloupe that much better.

Gotta say, it's really nice to see companies make existing products more relevant and useful with upgrades. Like, despite some of the bitichin, Canon is about to do again with the 5DII.
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #23
Major Player

Sounds like i may need to add one more item to my list there!!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM   #24
Major Player

Now I'm actually checking the Hoodman site for any news on this release, but nothing.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM   #25
Major Player

Update- apparently the release is next week. I may know more tomorrow, so I'll post any updates here.

Cheers

Brian
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:01 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks Brian and I'll do a review as soon as it's released.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:15 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I know the release date...

It will be only a day or so before the day I purchase it. ;)
Or the day AFTER I buy something similar, less effective, and three x the $. ;-)
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD