DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Best cases for multiple 5D/7D bodies + Lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/473260-best-cases-multiple-5d-7d-bodies-lenses.html)

Art Varga February 20th, 2010 10:10 AM

Best cases for multiple 5D/7D bodies + Lenses

I'm looking for the ideal case to hold a couple of camera bodies ( 5D and 7D) several lenses and other misc supplies. It will be used mostly for local wedding video gigs but I might also want to get it on a plane at some point. I've been considering these 2 cases

Pelican 1620
Pelican | 1620 Case with Foam (Black) | 1620-020-110 | B&H Photo
Pelican PCS283
Pelican | PCS283 Large Wheeled Camera/Computer Case | PCS283B

Also for the 1620 I'm debating on the padded dividers vs foam. Anyone have any recommendations?

Olof Ekbergh February 20th, 2010 10:51 AM

I Have a 1620 I use for HMI lights.

It is rugged, but the pick-out foam is pretty useless after a while. It just falls apart. Custom cut foam would be the best way to go. Or padded inserts if they fit your gear.

I have had it on multiple plane trips and I have seen it dropped 5' on location. That did blow a HMI bulb ($$$$), because it was in the light, "always remove bulbs from light for transport" is a new mantra. This was just moving from scene to scene, flying I always remove the bulbs.

I would recommend the 1620.

Peer Landa February 22nd, 2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 1488559)
I'm looking for the ideal case to hold a couple of camera bodies ( 5D and 7D) several lenses and other misc supplies. [...] I've been considering these 2 cases: Pelican 1620 & Pelican PCS283

As for Pelican cases, I got one 1620 (my second one) and one 1510. Both with foam. My initial 1620 I sold and then got a 1510 to use also as a carry-on (since it has the legal size for the airlines) but it's so darn small that I never cut & used the foam for it... and now it doesn't hold all the stuff that I often need for a shoot. Hence, I recently got yet another 1620 that I cut the foam of... but again I'm running out of space, (seems like no matter how big a case I get it'll be too small ;^)

As for dividers, I've never tried them in a Pelican case. Perhaps that's something I need to try next.

Besides, I have two large classic Halliburton aluminum cases for my lights, Nikkor glass, and audio equipment.

-- peer

Louis Maddalena February 22nd, 2010 05:21 PM

I have a pelican case and had the foam in the beginning. I thought since my case was quite large that I would be able to fit most of my lenses and my bodies and such in the case no problem. As I started putting everything in the case the foam either doesn't let you fit as much equipment in the case, or it becomes to weak and causes the foam to break. I decided a few months later that I would buy the padding and It feels like the case doubled in size! I am also happy with the quality of protection the dividers provide for my equipment.

Do I think that padding is as safe as the foam? Probably not, but I do believe that it provides enough protection for your equipment if you put the divers close enough together so that they hold your equipment firmly.

Cody Dulock February 22nd, 2010 10:23 PM

For toting around town I use a platt case or pelican cases. For air travel I definitely recommend carrying on your bodies and lenses. Think Tank makes some really nice bags that can hold a bunch of lenses and bodies and they look like normal carry on bags... good way to keep thieves away. The more your stuff doesn't look like video gear, probably the better (for travel)... just my thoughts on it. Bubble wrap is good too.

Art Varga February 22nd, 2010 11:00 PM

Thanks for the responses!- I think I'll stay away from the foam and will try the Pelican 1620 with the padded dividers.