Canon 5D Mark II 2.0.3 Firmware Update - 24/25/30p Upgrade - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:07 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Niswanger View Post
Does this new firmware mean my Neo Scene will be obsolete?
Cineform folks are well aware of the upcoming firmware and have previously said they will support the change to 29.97.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM   #17
Regular Crew

That's great news, I'll have to check up on that from Cineform...I just recently purchased my copy about 2 months ago.

So, to understand further, it will still benefit me to use Neo Scene to convert the updated footage from my 5DMk2 before bringing it into Vegas on Windows?

Thanks,
Roy
Roy Niswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Niswanger View Post
So, to understand further, it will still benefit me to use Neo Scene to convert the updated footage from my 5DMk2 before bringing it into Vegas on Windows?

Thanks,
Roy
Yes because Cineform converts the .mov file to .avi which is much friendlier to edit with in Vegas.
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Cineform is still of great benefit. AVCHD is not a very easy codec to edit. Transcoding to Cineform provides a rugged and stable codec for editing purposes. It will also correct issues inherent with the Canon codec to conform with your NLE so you image actually shows shadow and highlight detail.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:10 AM   #20
Major Player

Wow. Audio monitoring as well. That is so good.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:19 AM   #21
Major Player

Yes, seeing the audio meters was a thrill!

In the Canon video the meters were on a unique menu screen. I wonder how they integrate with the live view display. Perhaps hitting the info button will show the meters as an overlay on live view?

Andy, there's increased aliasing on the 7D at 25p? But not at 24p?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM   #22
Inner Circle

There are meters, but I'm not sure about headphone monitoring.

Fingers crossed...
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:50 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

As far as I can tell, audio monitoring is only by visual indicator and the A/V output jack has not been re-purposed to provide only stereo audio output. Which is a shame, because most Canon camcorders offer a menu setting which will switch the function of the A/V output jack to a headphones jack. So it's definitely do-able, but I'm not sure they've done it here, unfortunately.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #24
Major Player

Really...that would be a pretty major oversight. You monitor audio with your ears not your eyes.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #25
Major Player

I'm a jealous 7D user. Canon needs to show the whole range of cameras some manual audio control and histogram love.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
I'm a jealous 7D user. Canon needs to show the whole range of cameras some manual audio control and histogram love.
Don't be jealous... you have 60p, better external controls, and $1000 more in your pocket. It ain't all bad. :)
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM   #27
Major Player

AND, you're much more likely to get a firmware update in less than the year+ it took us to get these tools...
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:38 PM   #28
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Looks like there's more opportunity for Magic Lantern...
I'm very pleased that Canon has recognized that several of the Magic Lantern features are worth re-implementing in the mainstream firmware release. The manual audio gain and audio meters are an absolute requirement for film makers; I imagine that those two alone will satisfy many of the Magic Lantern users and I applaud Canon for adding them to the camera. One thing that isn't clear from the sample video is if the meters are onscreen all the time or only in the menu screen.

In any event, I plan to support the 2.0.3 firmware as soon as it is available and we're able to find the few functions that we depend on in DryOS. It would be good to come up with the exact list of what is necessary to be found for the stubs.S file so that we can prioritize our search.

The other reason to continue with the Magic Lantern development is to implement features that Canon doesn't have any plans to support. Things like external devices on the USB, headphone monitoring, clock setting to SMPTE LTC and scripting languages. Maybe even hacks to restart filming after the 4GB limit has been hit (with a few second gap, unfortunately). 1080i HDMI may or may not work quite right, but it is an open front for development with the source code available to anyone who wants to hack on it.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:34 AM   #29
Regular Crew

We all agree that we don't want to let the preamps of the 5D MKIIs do the amplification so if I calibrate the meters of the camera to the meters of an external preamp as shown in this video at 3:40 do I really need live on-screen meters on the camera?
Martin Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:01 AM   #30
Inner Circle

We don't know if we will get headphone monitoring from the camera with the Canon firmware. Some will want to monitor with headphones from the field mixer or preamp. The meters on the camera will be a safety blanket that lets you know that it's actually getting a signal. Getting a headphone signal from the mixer is no good if the audio cable isn't plugged firmly into the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD